Sharing Resources in an Organization
Like our Professional plans, you can share design resources within your Teams to allow for easier and more accessible collaboration. This includes all of your Team Styles, and Component Libraries, as well as any Shared Fonts.
An Organization takes this a step further and allow you to share any of those resources with the entire Organization. This allows you to manage resources within specific teams, as well as any Organization-wide resources.
In this article, we will cover:
- Using Team Libraries
- Organization-wide Design Systems
- File Sharing in Organizations
- Designing at Scale
Using Team Libraries
A Team Library houses all of the shared resources within a given Team. This is usually a File, or series of Files, that contains all of a Team’s Master Components and Styles.
Components are UI elements that you can reuse across your designs. This could be a button, navigation menu, gallery, or layout. To reuse a Component you can create an Instance. Anytime you edit a Master Component, any related Instances are also updated. Learn more about Components.
You can access and enable Team Libraries from within a specific File. Or, enable Libraries within a specific Team.
Using the Team Library in a specific File
Team Libraries can be accessed by any Team Member from within a File. You can access the Library modal from a number of places:
- From the Assets Panel in the the Layers Panel. Click the Team Library icon to open the Library modal:
- Going to the main menu in the top-left corner and selecting Libraries:
- Use the following Keyboard Shortcuts:
- MacOS: [Option] + 3
- Windows: [Alt] + 3
From here you can view, enable and disable any shared Libraries, as well as view any Updates to Styles and Components.
Using the Team Library with Teams
A Team Library can also be managed directly from the Team page. You can view a Team’s page by clicking on the Team name in the File Browser.
In the Team Settings section, click the Enable Libraries link to view any Libraries shared within that Team:
An Admin can then choose to Enable each Library to make them available to that Team, or Disable them to remove a Team’s access to that Library.
The Organization Library allows Members within the Organization to subscribe to a Library, even if they are not part of that specific Team. This reduces friction and prevents unnecessary access, while encouraging consistency, collaboration and efficiency across the Organization.
- Any Organization Member will be able to select which resources they would like to share with the rest of the Organization, this includes both Team Libraries and Styles.
- Once a Member has published Styles or Components to the Organization, other Members will be able to access those Styles and Components via the Team Library modal. To make any Components available in the Components Panel, the Member can enable the Library in the Team Library modal.
- An Organization Admin can also make a Team Library available to all Members in the Components Panel, by default.
Note: By default, any Guests of the Organization won't be able to see or access Team Libraries shared at a Team or Organization level. They will only be able to view and use these Team Libraries if they are explicitly given access to them.
Publish a Team Library to the Organization
Any Organization Member can share Team Libraries or Styles with the rest of the Organization. This can be done when publishing Styles or Components to a Team Library.
- Click the Team Library icon in the top-right corner of your screen:
- In the Team Library modal, click Publish next to the current file:
- You'll be prompted to enter a summary of your changes.
- At the bottom of the modal, check the box next to Allow any member of Organization to access the file:
- Click Publish to confirm:
This will Publish the Team Library so that it is available to every Member of the Organization. This will also update the file's link access to " Everyone at Organization".
By default this will set the Organization access to Can view, but you can update this via the Share modal when viewing the File:
Make a Library available in the Components Panel
An Organization Admin can also choose to make this Library available to Organization Members.
- Open the Admin Console via the View All Teams button, or the Settings cog.
- Go to the Libraries tab.
- Click on the slider next to the Library to enable this Library in the Components Panel.
- If this hasn't already been shared by a Member (as above), the Admin will be prompted to update to Change Privacy and enable. This will allow the file to be accessed by any Members within the Organization.
- Members will then be able to view and use any Components when in a file, via the Components Panel.
Remove access to a Library
If you no longer want to share a Team Library with the rest of the Organization, then you can Unpublish the Library and Remove Link Sharing.
You will need to do both of these actions to prevent any Members outside of the Team from access that Library.
- Click on the Team Library icon in the top-right corner.
- Click on the Library to view it in the Team Library modal:
- Click the Unpublish button at the bottom of the modal:
- You'll be prompted to confirm if you would like to remove the Library. Click the Remove file from Library button to confirm:
- You'll be returned to the file and a status bar will indicate the file has been successfully removed from the Library.
- Click the Share button in the menu bar.
- Click the down arrow next to the "Anyone at Organization" link access and select Only people invited to this file from the options:
- Link Sharing will now be turned off. The file is still available to all Members of that specific Team.
File Sharing in Organizations
Link Sharing determines how collaborators can find and access Files.
Outside of an Organization, Link Sharing allows you to share Files with external collaborators.
Within an Organization, Link Sharing determines how members of your Organization can find and access individual Files.
Within an Organization, you can choose from the following Link Access options:
- Anyone with the link (includes outside of the Organization)
- Anyone at <Organization> with the link
- Anyone at <Organization>
- Only people invited to this file
By default, Link Access permissions are set to Can View only. You can adjust this for individual Files, as required:
You can remove Link Sharing for an individual File by clicking on the current Link Access setting.
Select Only people invited to this file from the options:
In an Organization you can also choose to completely disable Link Access.This will prevent anyone from outside of your Organization from viewing any of your Files.
This is different from Link Sharing that is available on each File. To disable Link Access across Files in your Organization,You will need to contact the Figma Support team.
Designing at Scale
At Figma we call these Libraries, but you could also view these as Design Systems - collections of Components, Elements and Styles that are the building blocks of your Organization's designs.
By taking these Libraries or Design Systems outside of individual Teams you improve access and adoption of your design system, while gaining more control over who can view, use and make changes to your Organization’s design system.
At Figma, we’re passionate about Design Systems and recognise the opportunity they have to really empower Organizations to design at scale. Learn more about designing at scale with Figma:
- Create A Design System in Figma by Meng To, Creator of Design+Code.io
- Building your design system in Figma
Tip! Figma Organizations can also upload and share custom fonts within the Organization. You can add a Font to a specific Team, or make it available to the entire Organization. Learn more about using Shared Fonts in our article: Shared Fonts.