Member: Access Shared Projects and Resources in Organizations
This feature is currently in Beta and is subject to change. Screenshots and parts of this article may be incomplete, or out of date. If you have any questions about the content you see here, please contact Figma Support via the help menu in your Figma account, or at email@example.com
Welcome to Figma Organization! In this article, we'll get you well acquainted with the Figma Organization experience.
Understanding Roles and Account Types
When you are added to an Organization, you will be given a Role and an Account Type.
You can find you Role and Account Type in your Account Settings. To access your Account Settings:
- Click your name in the top-left corner.
- Choose Account settings from the options:
- In the Organizations section, you can view the Organization Name as well as your Role and Account Type:
Your Role controls what level of access you have to the Organization. There are three different levels of access within an Organization:
- Members are able to view and comment on any files and projects within the Teams they are a specific member of. They can also view a list of all Teams within the Organization. Members will also have access to any Shared Resources (Fonts and Libraries) that have been made available within the Organization.
- Admins are a group of Members that have additional administrative rights within the Organization. They can access and administer functions around Billing, Activity Logs, Teams and Members, as well as define which Shared Libraries and Fonts are enabled in the Organization. They can also set Roles and Account Types for other Members, and remove them from the Organization.
- Guests have limited access to the Organization. They will only be able to view and edit Team Projects and Files that they have been specifically given access to. Guests won't be able to use Component Libraries or Shared Fonts, unless they have been given direct access to them.
As well as having a Role, every member will have an Account Type. The Account Type determines whether or not you have Edit or View only access, as well as whether or not your membership is included in the Organization's billing.
- Starter members are only able to view and comment on any Team Projects and Files. When a new Member is added to an Organization, they will be given Starter permissions by default. A member will automatically be upgraded from a Starter if they are given Can Edit access to a File, or if they share a File from their Drafts with the rest of the Organization.
- Full members are members that have Can Edit permissions on at least one Team. This allows them to view, edit and collaborate with other members on Projects. They are also able to share files from their drafts with other members in the Organization.
- Restricted members have limited access to Teams, Projects and Files. They will be able to view and comment on any files, but not make any changes or edits, or share Files from their Drafts.
Note: If you are listed as a Restricted Member, but need Edit access to particular Projects and Files, you will need to request an upgrade from an Organization Admin. At the moment, this will need to be requested outside of Figma so we recommend contacting your Organization Administrator directly.
Organizations are only charged for Full members.
Navigating an Organization
When you are added to an Organization, you will have access to both the Organization File Space - where you can access all the Teams, Projects and Resources within the Organization - and a Personal File Space.
To switch between the Organization space and your Personal space:
- Click on the name in the top-left corner. This will either show the Organization name, or your own name, depending on the current view.
- Click on the Organization name, or your name, to view that File Space:
Organization File Space
At the top of the left-hand panel, you will have access to any Recent files, a Drafts folder and a Deleted Files folder: <Image: Recent, Drafts and Deleted>
Note: Any Drafts created within the Organization File Space will be owned by the Organization. If you are removed from the Organization, your Drafts will be added to a Shared Files folder, where any Organization Admin can view, edit and share those files.
Below that, you will see a list of any Teams that you are currently a part of. Any favorited Projects will be listed underneath the Team name in the Team Panel: <Image: Teams in Team Panel>
Click on the Team name to view the Team page. This allows you to view any Team Projects, Settings and Members: <Image: Team Page>
You'll also be able to view a list of all Teams within the Organization by clicking on the View all Teams button in the bottom-left corner: <Image: View all Teams>
There are three different types of Teams in an Organization - Open, Closed and Secret - these types determine how Members of an Organization can discover or join a Team.
- Click Join next to any Open Teams to be immediately added to the Team.
- Click Request to Join next to any Closed Teams. An Admin will need to accept your request before you are added to the Team.
- You will need to be invited to a Secret Team directly, before you will be able to see this in the Team Panel.
When you are first added to a Team, you will be assigned Can View access by default. An Admin or Full Member on that Team will need to grant you Can Edit access before you can start collaborating.
Any Member that is already a part of a team - and has a Full Account Type - will be able to add fellow Members to their Team. This applies to Open, Closed and Secret Teams.
You can also determine the Member’s access level when inviting them to the Team. To ensure the Member is able to start collaborating as soon as they are added to the Team, make sure this is set to Can Edit <Image: Invite Permissions>
Note: Once a Member or Admin has been given Can Edit access to the Team, they will be considered a Full Member and the Organization will be billed accordingly.
Personal File Space
Your Personal File Space is completely separate to the Organization File Space. You can use this space to work on any Drafts, Projects or Files that aren't related to the Organization.
If you're a member of any Teams on Figma's Professional or Starter plans, then you will be able to access those Teams from your Personal File Space. You can also create new Teams and Projects that are separate to the Organization in this space too.
Learn more about navigating the File Browser in our Using the File Browser article.
Leaving an Organization
If you are removed from an Organization, your Personal File Space will still be accessible.
If you no longer have access to the email address your account is registered under (i.e. you signed up using an Organization email), then you'll need to contact the Figma Support team so they can update the email address associated with your Personal account.
Once that's been updated, you can reset your password and login directly to your Personal File Space. You will no longer have access to anything within the Organization, but you will still be able to view any other relevant Teams and Projects you are added to.
Accessing Shared Resources
Like our Professional plans, you can share design resources within your Teams to allow for easier and more accessible collaboration. This includes any Team Styles, and Component Libraries.
Organizations also offer additional functionality around storing and distributing custom Shared Fonts.
Resources can be shared at two different levels within an Organization: within a specific Team, or across the entire Organization.
This is particularly useful for Organizations with comprehensive Design Systems, or Organizations that have multiple Products with their own unique branding.
Team Libraries can be accessed by any Team Member from within a File, by clicking Team Library button in the top-right corner of the screen:
From here you can view, enable and disable any shared Libraries, as well as view any Updates to Styles and Components.
Members can choose to share a Team Library with the wider Organization. This will need to be approved and published by an Organization Admin.
To do so, check the box next to Allow any member of <Company Name> to access the file, when publishing Styles or Components to a Library:
<Image: Publish Components to Org>
The Organization Library allows Members within the Organization to subscribe to a Library, even if they are not part of that specific Team. This reduces friction and prevents unnecessary access, while encouraging consistency, collaboration and efficiency across the Organization.
Admins control which Libraries are shared across the For more information on publishing Libraries to an Organization, check out our Shared Resources article.
Any Libraries that have been shared with the Organization will be available alongside any Team Libraries in the Team Library menu:
Fonts can be shared across the entire Organization, or within a specific Team.
Any Fonts that have been shared within the Organization will be immediately available in the Font Picker.
If you are part of a Team that has its own Shared Fonts installed, these will appear alongside any other Fonts in the Font Picker.
If there are multiple versions of the same font available, Figma will serve them in the following order: Shared Font (Organization) > Shared Font (Team) > Local Font > Google Web Font.
Learn more about adding and applying Shared Fonts in our Shared Fonts article.