Manage Permissions in a Team
When you invite a collaborator to a Team, you can determine their default access to Team Files and Projects. You can also choose to adjust a Member's access at any time.
This applies to stand-alone Teams (Starter, Student or Professional), as well as Teams within an Organization.
I want to:
- Understand Team Permissions
- Adjust a Collaborator's Access
- Invite a Collaborator to a Team (Link opens in a new tab)
- Change the Team Owner (Link opens in a new tab)
- Remove a Member from a Team (Link opens in a new tab)
Understand Team Permissions
In addition to Team Permissions, you can also determine a Team member's access to individual Files and Projects. If you are on our Professional plan, you will also have access to Advanced Access Permissions.
We will honor permissions in the following order:
- File Permissions
- Project Permissions
- Team Permissions
For example: You add a collaborator to the Team as a Viewer. You also invite them to a File within a Team Project as an Editor. They will be able to edit that specific File, while still having view only access to other Team Files and Projects.
Note: If you give someone Edit access to a File or Project, we will include them in your Team billing as an Editor.
Adjust a Collaborator's Access
When you invite a collaborator to a Team, you can determine their default access to Team Files and Projects. You can also choose to adjust a Member's access at any time. When you make a change to a collaborator's permissions, we will update their access immediately.
- In the File Browser, open the Team Page.
- View a list of collaborators in the Team Members section.
- Click the down arrow next to their current permission.
- Select the new permission from the options. You can choose:
- We will update their access immediately.
Note: You'll only be charged for Team Members with Can Edit access i.e. "Editors". If you change a Team member from a Viewer to an Editor, they will be included in your next month's billing. Learn more about Team billing in our Managing your Billing article.