Adjust Permissions on a File
Who can use this feature?
✅Users in Professional or Figma Organization Plans
✅ Team Owners, Admins or File Owners can adjust a File's Permissions
You can create Files within Projects in a Team. Or, work on Personal Files in your Drafts.
Generally, any Files created within a Team will be accessible to all Team Members.
Team Members will be able to interact with any Files based on their permissions. Learn more in our Manage Permissions in a Team article.
You can adjust a collaborator's access to a File in your Drafts.
In a Professional Team, you can adjust a collaborator's Permissions on each File.
This allows you to:
- Upgrade a Viewer to an Editor
- Downgrade an Editor to a Viewer
Note: When you upgrade someone to an Editor on a File, we will also include them as an Editor in your billing. We won't make any changes to their Team Permissions.
Adjust File Permissions
You can adjust a Team Member's Permission on a File via the File Sharing modal. This allows you to:
You can access this from a few places:
- Open the Project page in the File Browser.
- Right-click on the File to open the File menu.
- Select Share from the options:
Working on a private Project? Learn more about Advanced Project Permissions.
- Open the File in the Editor.
- In the toolbar, click the Share button:
- Open the File Sharing modal (see above)
- Click the arrow next to the member's current access.
- Select Can View to make them a Viewer
- Select Can Edit to make them an Editor
Tip! In Student, Professional and Organization Teams, you can Prevent Viewers from Copying or Sharing Files.
- Click the X to close the Sharing modal and return to the File.