Detach Instances from the Master Component
Who can use this feature?
🔒Users on Student, Professional and Figma Organization Plans
👤Anyone with Can View permissions on the original Library File can use Components
👤Anyone with Can Edit permissions can detach an Instance
You can detach an Instance from its Master Component. When you detach an Instance we will:
- Remove the link to the original Master Component.
- No longer apply any changes made to the Master Component, to the detached Instance.
- Make the Instance into a regular Frame with the layers nested inside it.
This is great if you want to make changes to the Component that aren't supported by Overrrides. Or, want to create a new Component from your changes, like a different state.
There are a few ways to detach an Instance from the Component.
Note: Figma Organizations can track how often Instances are detached with Design System Analytics. Learn more in our Track Library and Component Usage with Design System Analytics article.
- Select the Instance you wish to detach.
- Click on the Instance menu in the Properties Panel.
- Select Detach Instance:
- Right-click on the Instance on the canvas or in the Layers Panel.
- Select Detach instance from the options:
You can quickly detach an Instancing using the Keyboard shortcut:
Accidentally created a Component? You can turn this back into an Instance.
This allows you to keep the object(s) you created, without having to maintain a Master Component.
- Create an Instance of the new Component.
- Detach the Instance from the Component.
- Delete the Original Component.