Their role, as either a Viewer or an Editor, determines whether they are a free or paid user of that product.
- Accounts with the Viewer or Viewer-restricted roles are free. Both of these roles can interact with files, but they can’t make any changes. If a Viewer performs an upgrade action, they automatically become a paid account. We recommend using the Viewer-restricted role to avoid adding unexpected paid seats to your billing account.
- Editors are paid accounts. People with the Editor role can edit any files they have permission to edit within their team or organization.
On a paid plan, you can have a mix of free and paid users. For example:
- Person A has a Viewer role in both Figma design and FigJam. They are a free user and won’t show up on your invoice.
- Person B has an Editor role in Figma design and a Viewer role in FigJam. You’ll only get charged a subscription fee for this person to use Figma design.
- Person C has an Editor role in both Figma design and FigJam. You’ll get charged a subscription fee for this person to use both products.
Note: The Editor role is different from the
can edit permission. An Editor with
can view permission to a file or team won't be able to make edits to the file or team until their permission changes to
How free users become paid users
People with the free Viewer role can upgrade to the paid Editor role by performing one of the following actions:
- Move a file from their drafts to a team
- Make an edit to a team or organization file when it is shared with can edit permissions (Professional and Organization plans)
- Click Edit file to edit a file (Enterprise plan only)
- Has their request to join a team as an Editor accepted by an admin
- Join a team that doesn't have any Editors
- Create a file within a team
Note: An admin can downgrade their role to Viewer-restricted at any time.
Manage paid users
You can choose whether someone is a free or paid user at any time by changing their role.
We recommend checking to see which users are paid and which are free before the end of your billing cycle.