Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Users on Any Figma plan
Files are where most of the design and collaboration process takes place in Figma. Learn more about file structure, permissions, and format in our Files in Figma article.
Search for files
Files are just one of the things you can search for in Figma. Find the search bar in the top-left corner of your File Browser.
Learn more about what you can search in our File Browser articles:
- In Starter, Education, or Professional teams: Use the File Browser
- In Figma Organizations: Use the File Browser in an Organization
View and sort files
You can choose how you want to view files in the File Browser. In the top-right corner of the File Browser, use the grid and list icons to switch between views.
List view is a pared back view, which lets you see some basic information about each file. This allows you to quickly find files based on their name and the date they were Last modified.
- See the File name
- View a miniature file thumbnail
- View the date Last modified
- View the date Created
Grid view (default)
In grid view, the file thumbnail takes center stage, which makes it easier for you to quickly identify a file by its contents. This is the default view in the File Browser.
You'll have access to more contextual information in grid view:
- View the File Thumbnail: Set a Custom Thumbnail
- View the File Name
- View the Date and Time you last viewed or edited the File.
- If anyone is currently viewing the File, you will see their Profile Picture there.
- If you're viewing a File in the Recents File Space, you can see which Project the File is in.
Choose how to order files in your Drafts, Recents, or projects. Or, in your search results.
- Open your Drafts, Recents, or a Project Page in the File Browser.
- Click the arrow next to the current sort.
- Select the desired sort order from the options. Choose from:
- File Name
- Date Created
- Last Modified
- Last Viewed (Recent Files only)
- Date Deleted (Deleted Files)
- Search Relevance (when Searching for Files)
- We will then sort your Files in the order you selected.
Note: If you are in List view, you only have the option to sort by Last Modified.
There are a few ways to open a file in Figma.
- To open in the current tab: double-click on the file in the File Browser.
- To open in a new tab: right-click on the file and choose Open in New Tab.
- Click on a Figma URL
Want to open Figma URLs in the Desktop app, instead of the browser? Check out our Open Figma links in the Desktop App article.
Access the file menu
Right-click on any file in the File Browser. This allows you to perform the following actions:
- Open (in the current tab)
- Open in New Tab
- Pin to Project (Teams only)
- Share the File
- Duplicate the File
- Rename the File
- Delete the File
Tip! If you are viewing a File in the Recent folder, you will have two extra options:
- Show in Project to open the File in the current folder
- Remove from Recent