Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or Figma plan.
Files are where most of the design and collaboration process takes place in Figma. Learn more about files in Figma →
Search for files
Files are just one of the things you can search for in Figma. Find the search bar in the top-left corner of the Figma file browser.
View and sort files
You can choose how you want to view files in the file browser. In the top-right corner of the file browser, use the Grid and List icons to switch between views.
Grid view (default)
In grid view, the file thumbnail takes center stage, which makes it easier for you to quickly identify a file by its contents. This is the default view in the file browser.
You'll have access to more contextual information in grid view:
- Preview of the file Learn how to set a custom file thumbnail →
- Name of the file.
- Date and time you last viewed or edited the file.
- Avatars of any collaborators who are active in the file.
- Project the file is located in (Recents only).
List view is a pared back view, which lets you see some basic information about each file. This allows you to quickly find files based on their name and the date they were Last modified.
- Thumbnail preview of the file
- Name of the file
- Date the file was Last modified
- Date the file was Created
Choose how to order files in the file browser, including your Drafts, Recents, projects, or search results.
- Open your Drafts, Recents, or a project page in the file browser.
- Click the arrow next to the current sort.
- Select the desired sort order from the options. Choose from:
- File Name
- Date Created
- Last Modified
- Last Viewed (Recent files only)
- Date Deleted (Deleted files only)
- Search Relevance (when searching for files)
- Figma will sort your files in the order you selected.
Note: If you are in List view, you can only sort files by Last Modified.
There are a few ways to open a file in Figma.
- To open in the current tab: double-click on the file in the File Browser.
- To open in a new tab: right-click on the file and choose Open in New Tab.
- Click on a Figma URL
You can choose to open all Figma links in the Desktop app, instead of the browser. Learn more about opening Figma links →
Access the file menu
Right-click on any file in the file browser to perform the following actions:
- Open (in the current tab)
- Open in New Tab
- Pin to Project (Teams only)
- Share the File
- Duplicate the File
- Rename the File
- Delete the File
Note: If you are viewing a file in your Recents you will have two extra options:
- Show in Project to open the File in the current folder.
- Remove from Recent to hide the file in your recent list. This won't remove your access to the file.
Leave a file
Leave a file to remove your access to the file and any styles or components within it. Leave a file via the file's share modal.
- Open the file's share modal:
- In the editor: Click the Share button in the toolbar.
- In the file browser: Right-click on the file and select Share.
- Find your name in the list of collaborators.
- Click on your current access level and select Leave from the option