Before you start
Who can use this feature
Users on Professional , Education, or Figma Organization Plans
You can only create projects in teams. You can't use advanced permissions in a Starter or Education team.
Editors, Admins or Owners in teams can create invite-only or view-only projects.
Upgrade to a Professional team to create projects with advanced permissions.
If you are a member of a Professional team, then you also have access to advanced project permissions.
Advanced project permissions
Advanced project permissions allow you to create the following projects within a team:
👀 View-only projects
By default, only the Owner of the project can edit a view-only project.
Team members can only view that project and any files within it. Even if they have can edit access to the rest of your team projects.
The Owner of the project can still invite others to edit the project. This will require them to invite a collaborator to the project as an Editor.
🔒 Invite-only projects
Invite-only projects are private projects that aren't available to all members of the team. You can only access a private project if a collaborator invites you to it.
This is perfect for projects which need a smaller group of collaborators, or for new secret products or features. A great example is a building and maintaining a design system.
Tip! You can still publish Components from private projects to your Team Library. Only people with explicit access to that file and projects will be able to use those Components.
Note: If you set a project's team access to Can edit, members can still only interact with that project based on their team permissions. Viewers will still only be able to view files in a Project with Edit permissions.
Create a view-only project
- From the team workspace, click New Project in the top-right.
- Enter name in the field provided.
- Click the arrow next to the "Everyone at Team Name can Edit" setting.
- Select Everyone at <team name> can view to create a view-only project.
- Click Create Project to finish.
Once you have created the project, you can invite specific team members to edit it. Click the Share button on the project page to open the share modal for the project.
Create an invite-only project
- From the team page, click New Project in the top-right.
- Enter a project name in the field provided.
- Click on the arrow next to the team access and select Invite only — let me choose who has access.
- Click Create Project.
- Click the Share button on the project page.
- Use the Invite someone field to share your private project with collaborators.
- Click Send Invite to generate an invitation.