When you change the properties of a single instance, Figma will record your changes as an override. This allows you to create variations of the component, including:
- Customizing a text label or icon in a button
- Different visual styling for interaction states
- Creating entirely new components
If no longer want to use the override, you can reset an Instance to restore the properties of the main component. You can reset the entire Instance, or choose which properties you want to reset.
View and reset overrides
Figma lets you see any overrides for your current selection. Once you have made your selection, view details of the Instance and any overrides in the Instance section of the Design tab.
- Select the entire Instance to view and reset overrides for the entire Instance.
- Select a specific layer to view and reset overrides for each layer.
- Select the instance or layer within the instance. Hold down the modifier key to selected a nested layer:
- Mac: ⌘ Command
- Windows: Ctrl
- In the Instance section of the Design tab, click the icon.
- Figma will open a menu that allows you to view any overrides for your selection. Properties with overrides will have the option to reset overrides.
Reset all overrides
To restore the properties of the main component, you can reset all overrides. You can reset all overrides on a single layer, a selection of layers, or the entire Instance.
Once you have made your selection, there are a few ways to reset all overrides:
- Right-click on the layer/instance and select Reset Instance
- Click in the Instance section of the Design tab. Select Reset All Overrides.
- Click in the toolbar.
Reset a specific property
You can also choose to reset a specific property. This allows you to reset one property while keeping any other overrides you've applied.
If you only want to reset one property, you can do this from the Instance section of the Design tab.
- Select the Instance in the canvas or Layers panel.
- In the Instance section in the Design tab, click to open the overrides menu.
Select which property you wish to reset.
- Select Reset [Property] to reset a specific property
- Select Reset Overrides to reset all properties for that layer
Figma will reset the property to match the main component.