Before you start
Who can use this feature
Users on Figma Organization Plan
Everyone with a Figma account has their own File Browser.
When you first open Figma, we'll take you to the File Browser.
The File Browser allows you to navigate through your account. You can use it to view Drafts and Recent files, create and join Teams, and connect with the wider Figma Community.
The sidebar on the left-side of the page provides the main method of navigation. We display everything else - your files, teams and projects - in the main body of the File Browser.
In a Starter, Education, or Professional Team? Your File Browser looks a little different. Learn more in our Use the File Browser article.
Personal and Organization Space
Within your Figma account, you will have both an Organization and a Personal Space within a single account.
Your Organization space includes all the teams that are included in your Organization. Your Personal space is where you can find all the teams you are a member of, that aren't part of that Organization.
If you are signed up for Figma with a company email, the Organization will have ownership of content in both spaces.
There are some limitations around what resources you will have access to in your Personal Space.
In your Personal space you can:
✅ Access Teams that aren't part of the Organization
✅ Access external Teams you have joined using your company email
✅ Run plugins that aren't whitelisted by the Organization
In your Personal space you can't:
❌ Access Libraries that are shared within Teams in the Organization
❌ Access Libraries that are shared across the Organization
❌ Access Fonts that have been uploaded to the Organization
❌ Run plugins that are Private to the Organization
Switch between spaces
To switch between spaces, click the Organization name in the bottom-left corner.
- Select Personal File Browser to open the Personal File Browser.
- Select <Organization name> to open the Organization File Browser.
Note: It's not possible to move Files, Projects or Teams between your Personal and Organization File Browser. Make sure you are in the correct File Browser when creating new Files and Projects!
Global Settings are settings or areas of your account that you can access from both the Personal and Organization Spaces.
Your Profile is where you access everything about your account. This includes your:
- Community Profile
- Work at Organization
- Account Settings
You can navigate between these tabs using the Toolbar at the top of the Page.
Notifications help keep you in loop with what's happening in your Figma account. Click the bell icon next to your name in the File Browser to view your notifications. Learn more in our Stay in the loop with notifications article.
Community profiles showcase your contributions to the Figma Community. Specifically, any Plugins or Files you've published to Community.
Click the Public tab to preview and update your Community profile.
- Discover Files and Plugins in the Figma Community
- [Beta] Create your Community Profile
- [Beta] Publish a File to your Community Profile
- Make Plugins for Figma
Note: Only Organization Admins can publish Files and Plugins to the Organization's Profile. If you want to publish a File to your personal Profile, we recommend switching to a personal Figma Account that you own.
Organization Members also have a tab that allow members of the Organization to see what they're working on.
Your Organization tab includes your name, profile, and description. It also details and team, Files, projects and plugins you've contributed to.
Learn more in our View a Member's Work at your Organization article.
The account Settings page allows you to update aspects of your Account.
- Update your Email Address or Password
- Update your Name or Profile Picture
- Enable or Disable Notifications
- Create Personal Access Tokens
- Connect and Remove Apps
- Enable Libraries for Files in your Drafts
- Delete your Figma Account
Learn more about adjusting your Organization's account settings.
Note: If your Organization is managed via SAML SSO, there are some aspects of your account you will no longer be able to manage in Figma. We recommend contacting your Systems Administrator to change your Email Address or Password.
Select the search option in the top-left corner of the File Browser. This will open a search bar in the main body of the File Browser.
What you can search for will depend on whether you're in your Personal Space, or your Organization Space.
Use the search bar to find the following resources within your Organization:
- Files in your Drafts
- Files in your Recents
- Files from any teams and projects of which you are a member (including files in Closed and Secret teams)
- Any other files that have been shared with you.
- Projects in teams that you're a member of
- Projects in open or closed teams in the Organization
- Shared projects that you have been invited to
- Teams you are a member of
- Any open or closed team in the Organization. You don't have to be a member of the team to search for it.
Search for plugins that are private to your Organization. If the plugin whitelist is enabled, this will only include only whitelisted plugins.
Search for members of your Organization and view their internal profile
Use the search bar to find the following resources. This includes anything outside of the Organization.
- Files in your Drafts
- Files in your Recents
- Files from any teams and projects of which you are a member
- Any other files that have been shared with you
- Projects in teams that you're a member of
- Shared projects that you contribute to
Search for collaborators and view their contributions to teams you're a member of
View and sort results
Figma separates search results based on the type of resource you're looking for. Click on the tabs to switch between results.
In the File Browser, there are two ways to view search results. Use the icons in the top-right corner to switch between grid and list views.
Choose how Figma sorts your search results using the sort field. You can find this next to the view icons. The options you see here will depend on which resource results you are viewing.
Learn more about interacting with files in the File Browser.
Part of an Organization in the Community beta? You will also have the option to view search results for the Community. Switch between views using the <Organization> and Community buttons in the top-right corner of the File Browser. Learn more.
Open your Recent Files to check out any Files you have recently viewed or edited. This will include any:
- Personal Files from your Drafts folder.
- Files from any Teams you're a member of
- Files from other Teams or Projects.
- Files from other people's Drafts.
- Files you've accessed via Link sharing.
Want to tidy up your Recent Files? Check out our Manage your Recent Files article.
Plugins are third-party scripts or applications that extend the functionality of another application. You can use plugins to customize your experience, or create more efficient workflows.
The Plugins link in the File Browser allows you to explore Plugins shared with the Community. Learn more in our Browse, Install and Run Plugins article.
Plugins in an Organization
You have even more control over how you use and share plugins within an Organization.
You can create plugins that are only available to your Organization. Or share your favorite plugins with the wider Figma community.
Organization Admins can manage which plugins are available to members of your Organization. This includes whitelisting, installing and uninstalling plugins. Learn more managing plugins in an Organization.
Everything within this section is specific to your Organization.
Any Files you create within your Organization's Figma account are owned by the Organization. This includes your Drafts.
If you leave or are removed from the Organization, any Files and Drafts will remain with the Organization.
You can think of your Drafts like a sketchbook or notebook. It's a place where you can jot down your ideas and experiment with different concepts.
- Click the [+] button next to Drafts in the sidebar to create a new File in your Drafts.
- Or, click the New File button in the File Browser.
Figma encourages an open and collaborative design environment. It's never too early to share your ideas and collaborate with others.
You can invite collaborators to your Personal Files. Or, Move Files from your Drafts into Teams and Projects.
Want to create Private Drafts? Switch to your Personal File Browser.
Looking for your Deleted Files? We moved Deleted Files from the sidebar, to a tab in your Drafts.
The Deleted Files tab is an archive of your Deleted Files. Files remain in the Deleted Files folder indefinitely.
- When you delete a File in your account, we will move the File here.
- If anyone else deletes a File that you are the Owner of, we will add it here.
- If anyone delete a Project that you were the Owner of, we will add it here.
Tip! You can use the Created by... setting to choose which Files are included in the results. You can choose between Files Created by Anyone, You or Others.
It's not possible to open a Deleted File. You can right-click on the File to:
- Restore a deleted File:
- Delete Forever to permanently delete the File. This action is irreversible.
- Duplicate to Drafts to send a copy of the File to your Drafts folder
Learn more about managing Deleted Files in our Delete a File article.
Shared Files (or Projects)
You can find any Files or Projects that have been shared with you in the Shared Files folder.
This will include:
- Drafts that another collaborator has invited you to.
- External Projects that another collaborator has invited you to.
- If you're an Organization Admin, this will also include the Drafts and Files of deleted Organization members.
Tip! You will find a Sort selector in the top-right corner of the File Browser. This allows you to change the order that Files appear. Learn more about sorting Files in our Search, Sort and View Files article.
We list every Team you are a member of in the sidebar of the File Browser. This is how you can switch between Teams.
We'll show any Projects you've favorited underneath the Team name in the sidebar.
Click on the Team name to open the Team Page. You can manage every aspect of your Team from the Team Page. From Files and Projects, to Members and Billing.
Tip! Choose the order that your Teams appear in the File Browser:
- Click on the Team name and drag it up or down.
- A black line will show where you can move the Team
- Drag the Team to a new location. Release to confirm the order.