Before you start
Who is this article for
Supported on the Figma Organization plan.
Anyone who is new to a Figma Organization.
This article gives you an overview of everything you need to know to get started as a member of an Organization. Perfect for folks who are used to Professional teams, or are completely new to Figma.
Join the Organization
You'll need a Figma account to join the Organization. There are a few ways to join an Organization:
- Through an invitation
- By opening a link to a file
- Via domain capture
With domain capture, Figma will add anyone with a Figma account under a company email to the Organization. This applies for existing Figma accounts or if you create a new account with your company email.
For invitations, you can join the Organization by accepting the invite to a file, project, or team. You can also join the Organization by opening a link to a Figma file.
Figma uses domains to recognize how people can join the Organization. If you have a email address that matches a domain in the Organization, you'll join the Organization as a member. If you don't, you'll join as a guest.
Log in to the Organization
Organization Admins choose how members can log into the Organization. There are three methods available.
- Email address and unique password
- Google SSO (for businesses using GSuite)
- Company email and password for Organization's using SAML SSO
Note: As guests don't have a company email, they can't login using SAML SSO. Guests can still log in via email address and password, even if SAML SSO or Google SSO is mandatory.
Your Organization and Personal spaces
Within your Figma account, you will have both an Organization and a Personal space.
- The Organization space includes all the teams that are included in your Organization. It's where you can access other resources in the Organization, like private plugins, libraries, and shared fonts.
- Your Personal space is where you can find all the teams you are a member of, that aren't part of that Organization. You can't access resources from the Organization in here.
It's not possible to move files between spaces, so make sure you're in the correct space before creating or joining files.
Make sure you're in the Organization space to access any resources in the Organization.
- Click the switcher in the bottom-left of the file browser.
- Select Personal to access your Personal space.
- Select Organization name to access the Organization space.
Caution: For members of the Organization that use a company email, the Organization has ownership of all content you create in both spaces.
For guests without company emails, Organizations can only control what you create and share in the Organization space.
Use the Figma file browser
Access everything in your Organization from the file browser. Visit figma.com to open the file browser.
View your account in the top-left corner of the file browser.
- Click on your name to access your account.
- Click the next to your name to view any notifications for your account.
Use the headings at the top of the file browser to view and adjust aspects of your account.
Every member of a Figma team or Organization has an internal profile. This profile allows other members of the team or Organization to see what they're working on.
Click Organization name to view your internal profile. Learn more about internal profiles →
Community profiles showcase your contributions to the Figma Community. They allow other members of the community to see any plugins you develop, or files you publish.
Select Public to preview your public profile.
Manage account settings including profile information, notifications, personal access tokens, and two-factor authentication.
- Update your email address or password, name or profile picture.
- Enable two-factor authentication for your account.
- Adjust your notification settings.
- Connect and remove third-party applications, or manage access tokens.
- Enable libraries for files in your drafts.
Everyone in an Organization has a role and account type, which controls what resources you can access, and if you can view or edit files in any teams.
View your role and account type from the Settings page. Learn more about permissions in an Organization →
Use the search field to find resources in your Figma account. Search in the Organization space includes all of the following:
- Files: from your Drafts, teams of which you're a member, shared projects, and files in the Figma Community.
- Projects: From teams of which you're a member, or projects shared with you.
- Teams: Teams of which you are a member or any open or closed teams in the Organization. You don't have to be a member of the team to search for it.
- Profiles: Search for collaborators and view their contributions to your Organization and the wider Figma Community.
- Plugins: Search for private plugins that only members of your Organization can access. Or find public or approved plugins in the Figma Community.
View and sort search results. Figma separates search results based on the type of resource you're looking for.
- Click tabs to switch between Files, Projects, Teams, Plugins, and Profiles.
- By default, Figma will search for internal resources within your Organization. Click Community to view any search results in the Figma Community.
- Use the icons to switch between Grid and List views.
- Click the next to Relevance to change the sort criteria. Options will depend on which type of resource you are viewing.
Select Recent in the sidebar to access files and prototypes you've recently viewed or edited. Learn more about recent files →
The Figma Community is a public space where creators can publish design resources. This allows anyone in the world to follow, share, and support fellow creators.
Figma support Community profiles for individuals, teams, and Organizations. Anyone with a Figma account can find and use files and plugins to improve their collaborative design process.
Select Community in the sidebar to find files and plugins from other creators. Learn more about the Figma Community →
Access files, projects, and teams
Intellectual property in an Organization: Organizations have ownership over everything you create in the Organization space. This includes files in your drafts, teams, and files or projects other collaborator's share with you.
Every Figma account comes with its own drafts. You can think of your drafts like a sketchbook or notebook, a place where you can jot down your ideas and experiment with different concepts.
Drafts are separate from your Organization's teams and projects. Other members of your Organization can't see what's in your drafts, unless you invite them to your Organization.
- Click next to Drafts in the sidebar to create a new file in your drafts.
- Click when viewing drafts in the file browser.
When you delete a file, Figma will remove the file for all collaborators. You can access deleted files in the file browser in the Deleted page of your Drafts.
You can't open deleted files from the file browser, but you can restore, delete, or duplicate them. Learn more about restoring deleted files →
Select Shared Files or Shared Projects in the sidebar to view files or projects outside of teams. This includes:
- Files from another members Drafts, which you have a role on.
- Files from teams you're not a member of, which you have a role on.
- External projects that you have a role on.
Tip! Organization Admins can find and manage the drafts of any deleted Organization members in Shared Projects.
Organization members can create and join as many teams as they want in the Organization space.
Organization access lets you control how other members of the Organization can access each team. There are three levels of Organization Access:
- Open: Members can freely join open teams as a Viewer. An Admin or Editor can upgrade members to Editors.
- Closed: Members can request access to the team as a Viewer or an Editor.
- Secret: Members must be invited to the team as a Viewer or Editor by an existing member.
Note: Guests must be invited to any type of team, regardless of the team's Organization access.
Click on the Organization name in the sidebar to access all open and closed teams in the Organization.
- View the team name, icon, and description, as well as any members in that team. Click the Join or Request to join button to join a team.
- Click New Team at the top of the page to create a new team in the Organization.
- Find out which members are Organization Admins under the Admins heading.
Access shared resources
Publish libraries within a team, or share them with members of your Organization. Guests can only access libraries you invite them to.
Organization Admins can choose default libraries, which you can access from every file in the Organization. Then track how members are using shared Components with library analytics.
Exclusive to Organizations, upload and share fonts within a team or across the entire Organization.
Only Organization Admins can upload fonts to the Organization and team Admins can upload fonts to a specific team.
Plugins are third-party scripts or applications that extend the functionality of an application. Figma plugins run in the editor and let you to perform tasks within files.
Figma Organizations have access to extra features that control how members use and share plugins.
- Organization Admins can control which plugins are safe for internal use with Approved plugins. Admins can add and remove plugins as needed.
- Private plugins allow members of the Organization to make and use plugins with potentially sensitive information, without having to share them publicly.