Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan.
Anyone with a Figma account can leave comments. You will need to have at least can view access to the file or prototype.
Comments takes collaboration to the next level. You can use comments to respond to feedback, tweak your designs and iterate faster. All from the original design file or prototype.
Add comments to files or prototypes in commenting mode. You can @mention you collaborators, as well as add emoji to your messages.
Click the comment icon in the toolbar to enter commenting mode.
You can't make any changes to objects in the canvas while in commenting mode. Select another tool in the toolbar to exit comment mode and continue editing the file.
Learn more about commenting on prototypes.
Add a comment
Add a comment to any location on the canvas. If you comment on a specific frame, group, or layer; Figma will attach your comment to that object.
- Click the comment icon in the toolbar, or press the C key.
- Your cursor will turn into a location icon. Click on the location in the canvas you'd like the comment to appear.
- Type your message in the field. Click the emoji icon to add emoji or type @colleague to mention a colleague or collaborator.
- Click Post to send your message.
Mention a collaborator
@mention collaborators in comments by entering the
@ symbol and typing their name. This allows you to include a collaborator in the discussion, or draw their attention to a specific part of the design file.
In a team there are some general restrictions around mention behavior:
- Collaborators that have the same roles on a resource can @mention one another. For example: team members can mention anyone else who is a member of the team.
- Team members can also mention collaborators who only have a role on that specific file or project.
- Collaborators that only have a role on the file, and not the team or project, can only mention collaborators that are members of the team. They can't mention collaborators that are only added to that file.
Outside of a team you can mention anyone you "know" in Figma. This includes:
- People who are on the same teams, projects or files as you.
- Anyone you have invited, or has invite you, to a file.
Add a mention to a comment
Mention a collaborator when you add a new comment, or reply to an existing one.
- In the comment field, enter the @ key to trigger a mention.
- Start typing in the person's name or email. Figma will suggest collaborator's based on your history.
- Click the Tab or Enter key to select a collaborator. Or, click on the person's name in the list.
- Figma will show mentions in blue text. Complete the rest of your message and click Post.
- Figma will send an email to the collaborator with the details of your comment and a preview of the design. If they have in app notifications enabled, they will receive a notification in Figma too.
Note: If you'd like to mention someone who is missing from your list, then you will need to invite them to the File first.
Add emoji to comments
Add emoji when adding or replying to comments. Figma uses the Apple emoji collection.
- In the comment field, click the 🙂 smiley face icon.
- Choose from your Frequently Used emoji or browse through the catalogue of emoji.
- Or, use the Search bar to find the exact emoji you're after.
- Click on the emoji to add it to your message. This will appear in short-hand :thinking_face:, not as the emoji. Don't worry, your emoji will appear when you click post!
- Click Post to add your comment to the file or prototype.
Note: You can add up to 100 comments per hour. This includes new comments and replies and applies across all your files and prototypes.