Explore your Figma account
Who can use this feature
Supported on Starter, Education, and Professional plans.
The file browser is what we call the parts of Figma outside of Figma design or FigJam files. This is how you explore and access drafts, teams, and resources in your account.
Figma opens this view when you visit figma.com or open your account in the desktop app.
- The navigation bar at the top of the page allows you to access any account-level actions.
- On the left side of the page is the sidebar. This provides the main method for navigating your accounts.
- Figma will display everything else—your files, teams, and projects—in the main body of the page.
Part of an organization? Your account will look different in an organization. Explore your organization →
The navigation bar at the top of the workspace allows you to access any account-level actions.
Note: If you're using the Figma desktop app, you can navigate between the file browser and any files you're viewing. Click to open the file browser for the current workspace. When you're viewing the Community, you can navigate back and forward using the arrow keys.
View the name and avatar of the account. Click to access the Community and any accounts or organizations you have access to. Switch between accounts →
search for resources across your teams and files. Figma groups results by resource type, click to view results for each type of resource.
- Files: find files in your drafts, shared projects, and any teams.
- Projects: find shared projects you have access to or team projects.
- People: find collaborators and view their contributions to your teams.
In an organization? You also have the option to search for teams and private plugins. Explore your organization →
View and manage any notifications within the workspace. Learn more about notifications →
View your recently closed files.
View and manage account-level settings from the account menu:
- Community: View and update your Community profile
- Internal profile: View your internal profile →
- Plugins: View and manage your installed plugins
- Settings: View and update your account settings
- Switch account: Switch between accounts
- Add accounts: Log in to your Figma account
- Log out: Select an email address to log out of a specific account, or Log out of all accounts.
Select Recent in the left sidebar to view and access files and prototypes you've recently viewed or edited from this account.
This includes files and prototypes from your drafts, team files, and any other shared files you've opened. It's not possible to view recent files across multiple Figma accounts.
Figma lists files and prototypes separately, you can use the tile icon to identify files from prototypes:
- Design files
- FigJam files
- Library files
There are extra file actions ↓ available from the recent space. Right-click on the file to view the file actions.
- Show in project: open the project page where the file is located. Figma will open that project page in the file browser.
- Remove from recent: remove the file or prototype from your recents. This won't delete the file, you can still access the file from the team/project where it's located.
Want to leave the file completely? If components from that file are still showing up in the assets panel of your other files, you can leave the file. Learn how to remove your access to a library →
Access both your drafts and any deleted files from your Drafts. Use the tabs at the top of the page to switch between them.
Every Figma account comes with its own drafts. You can think of your Drafts like a sketchbook or notebook. It's a place where you can jot down your ideas and experiment with different concepts.
Drafts are separate from any teams or projects. Any files you create here are your own. There are no limits in the drafts folder, so create as many files as you like!
The Deleted files folder is an archive of any files you have access to that have been deleted. This includes files that you deleted yourself and files others deleted.
You can use the Created by to filter your results. Choose to view files created by: Anyone, You, or Others.
Figma will keep files in the deleted files folder indefinitely. It's not possible to open a deleted file, but depending on your access to the original file, there are some actions you can take.
Shared files and projects
Find any files or projects collaborators have shared with you in your Shared files or Shared projects. This includes:
- Drafts that another collaborator has invited you to.
- External projects that another collaborator has shared with you.
Tip! Use the sort filter in the top-right corner to change the order that files appear.
Figma adds every team you are a member of to the file browser. This allows you to access those teams from the sidebar. Figma shows projects you've favorited under the team name.
Click on the team name to open the workspace for that team, where you can manage projects, members, settings, and billing.
Tip! You can choose the order your teams appear! Click on the team name and drag it up or down. A black line will show where you can move the Team. Release to confirm the new location.
You can choose how you want to view files for each page in the file browser. In the top-right corner of the file browser, use the Grid and List icons to switch between views.
Grid view (default)
In grid view, the file thumbnail takes center stage, which makes it easier for you to quickly identify a file by its contents. This is the default view in the file browser.
You'll have access to more contextual information in grid view:
- Preview the file Learn how to set a custom file thumbnail →
- Name of the file
- Date and time you last viewed or edited the file.
- Profile pictures of any collaborators who are active in the file. View internal profiles →
- Which project the file is located in (Recents only).
List view is a pared back view, which lets you see some basic information about each file. This allows you to quickly find files based on their name and the date they were Last modified.
- Thumbnail preview of the file
- Name of the file
- When the file was Last modified
- When the file was Created
- Who the file Owner is (search results only →)
Choose how to order files in your drafts or recents, team projects, and any search results. Click the headings to sort them by category, or:
- Click next to the current sort.
- Select both the sort and the order results appear.
- File name
- Date created
- Last modified
- Last viewed (Recent files only)
- Date deleted (Deleted files only)
- Search relevance (when searching for files)
Access file actions
Right-click on any file in the file browser to perform the following actions:
- Open: open the file or prototype in the current tab
- Open in new tab: open the file or prototype in a new tab
- Pin to project: pin the file to the top of the project (only available for team files)
- Share: open the share modal for the file Share files and prototypes →
- Duplicate: create a copy of the file (doesn't include comments or version history from the original) Duplicate files →
- Rename: change the name of the file (for all collaborators) Rename files and projects →
- Delete: remove the file from its current location and add it to the deleted files (for all collaborators) Delete and recover files →
Caution: Deleting a file will remove the file for all collaborators, not just yourself. To remove a file from your file browser for just yourself, we recommend you leave the file instead.