Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Users on Any plan have access to the Layers Panel in the Editor
Only users with Edit access can make changes to layer order
You can change the order that Layers appear in the Layer Panel. Changing the order of the layer in the layer panel also affects the layer's z-index - the depth of the layer.
- Move a layer forward by moving it up in the Layers Panel
- Send a layer backwards by moving it down in the Layers Panel.
This allows you to move specific Layers to the front or back of the canvas, as well as move Layers in or out of a Group or Frame.
Adjusting a Layer in the Layers panel won't affect its position on the canvas. It may change how you can see, select or Group the Layer in the canvas.
You can reorder your Layers in a couple of ways.
- macOS: Command ]
- Windows: Ctrl ]
Bring to Front
- macOS: Command Option ]
- Windows: Ctrl Shift ]
- macOS: Command [
- Windows: Ctrl [
Send to Back
- macOS: Command Option [
- Windows: Ctrl Shift [
From the right-click menu
- Select the Layer(s) in the canvas.
- Right-click on the Layer to open the context menu:
- You can then choose to:
- Bring Forward
- Bring to Front
- Send Backward
- Send to Back
From the Layers Panel
Click and drag the Layer to change its position in the hierarchy.
- Moving the Layer towards the top of the list will bring the Layer to the front of the canvas.
- Moving the Layer further down the list will push the Layer behind those layers in the canvas.
Tip! If you make a change you're unhappy with, you can Undo the action using the Keyboard Shortcut:
- Mac: Option Command Z
- Windows: Ctrl Z