Before you start
Who can use this feature
Anyone on the Figma Organization plan
Anyone with Admin access can manage members of an Organization
Everyone in an Organization has both an account type and a role. This controls what resources they can access, how they can interact with those resources, and if Figma includes them in the Organization's billing.
Anyone with an email address that matches one of your Organization's domains will be a member. Everyone else will be a guest. There is no way to make someone with an external email a member.
Organization Admins can also upgrade other members to Organization Admins. Admins have extra administrative rights, allowing them to manage aspects of the Organization itself.
There are three roles in an Organization: Viewer, Viewer Restricted, and Editor.
There are a few ways members are assigned roles:
- If you upgraded from a Professional team, anyone with an existing Editor role on any teams or files will be made an Editor in the Organization.
- When you first add people to your Organization, Figma will give them a provisional role as a Viewer.
- Organization Admins can set a member's role when during or after adding them to Organization.
- If you use SAML SSO with Figma, you can provision user roles and cost centers via SCIM.
You can have any combination of account type and role in an Organization:
Note: Editors don't automatically get edit access to other files or resources within the Organization. Their Editor permissions will only apply to the resource they have been given can edit access to.
There are a number of ways to upgrade members in an Organization. Upgrading a member will give them an Editor role in the Organization and include them in the Organization's billing.
- Organization Admins can upgrade a member's role to Editor, or downgrade them to Viewer Restricted. Learn more about managing members as an Organization Admin →
- Existing Editors can invite other members to teams or files as Editors. This includes situations where an Editor updates a member's permissions on a resource from can view to can edit.
- Viewers can also request an upgrade from an Organization Admin in their account settings. Anyone can request to join a closed team as an Editor. Learn more about requesting upgrades in an Organization →
Viewers can also upgrade themselves to Editors via any of the following actions:
- Share a file from their Drafts with another member of the Organization. This needs to be from their Drafts in the Organization space.
- Click the Edit file button when they open an edit link for a file
- Create a new team in the Organization
- Join a team without any Editors
Manage members of an Organization
Organization Admins can manage all members of their Organization, including:
- Downgrade a member to Viewer Restricted
- Upgrade a member to an Editor
- Grant a member admin access
- Add a member to an Organization
- Remove a member from the Organization