Who can use this feature
Available on the Organization and Enterprise plans
Figma has two products: Figma design and FigJam. Everyone in an organization has a seat in both products.
A person's seat determines their billing status. It also controls what activities they can do in Design or FigJam files.
There are three seat types: viewer, viewer-restricted, and full. There are a few ways a person’s seat can be set or updated in an organization.
How people's seats are assigned when they join an organization
When migrating to the Organization or Enterprise plan
When you upgrade a team or teams to the Organization or Enterprise plan, Figma assigns seats to people based on their existing permissions.
- Anyone with
can editpermissions on a team or file gets a paid seat.
- Anyone with
can viewpermissions on a team or file gets a free seat.
When someone joins an organization
Note: If you use SAML SSO, you can provision accounts and assign seats using SCIM. This allows you to assign seats to members before they join the organization. If you set seat types via SCIM, Figma will honor the SCIM provisioned seat type over the default seat type, if you've set one. If you have SAML and basic SCIM enabled, but don't use SCIM to set seat types, Figma will use the default seat type setting instead.
Members whose seat types are assigned via SCIM have the icon next to their seat in the Members tab.
How people's seat types can change
Admins can manage Figma design and FigJam seats for members and guests.
- Organization plan: only organization admins can make changes to people’s seats. Team admins can only manage team-level permissions.
- Enterprise plan: organization admins can manage seats for anyone in the organization. Billing group admins can make changes to seats for people in their billing groups.
Members and guests can start the upgrade process by taking an upgrade action.
Anyone with a viewer seat can upgrade themselves to a full seat by performing one these upgrade actions.
- Share a file from drafts
- Create a file within a team
- Open a link to an organization file and take an edit action
- Request to join a team with a paid seat (only if a team admin accepts your request)
- Join a team without any existing paid seats
People with a viewer-restricted seat are prompted to request an upgrade when they attempt an upgrade action. Only organization or billing group admins can approve an upgrade request.