You can detach any Instance from its main Component. This is useful if you want to make changes to the Component that aren't supported by overrides.
Or, if you want to create a variation of a Component from your changes.
When you detach an Instance Figma will:
- Make the Instance a regular frame, while keeping the current layers and properties.
- Remove the link to the original Component.
- No longer apply any changes made to the Component, to that object.
Note: Figma Organizations can track how often Instances are detached with Design System Analytics.
- Select the Instance you wish to detach.
- Click on the Instance menu in the Properties Panel.
- Select Detach Instance from the menu.
- Right-click on the Instance on the canvas or in the Layers Panel.
- Select Detach instance from the options:
You can quickly detach instances using the keyboard shortcut:
- Mac: ⌥ Option ⌘ Command B
- Windows: Control Alt B
Tip: Accidentally created a Component? You can turn this back into an Instance.
This allows you to keep the object(s) you created, without having them as Components.
- If you just created the Component you can undo it right away using the shortcut:
- mac: ⌘ Command Z
- Windows: Control Z
- If you want to revert something that's been a Component for a while:
- Create an Instance of the new Component.
- Detach the Instance from the Component.
- Delete the original Component.