Plugins are third-party scripts or applications that extend the functionality of an application. Figma plugins run in the editor and let you to perform tasks within files. Use plugins to customize your experience, or create more efficient workflows.
Figma's Plugin API supports both read and write functions. This lets you view and modify existing layers and objects, as well as create new ones.
- Plugins only run in the editor.
- Plugins can't run in the background. You can only run one plugin at a time.
- Plugins can attach plugin information to layers or objects. This lets you view details of the plugin and re-run it directly from the Properties Panel.
Interested in making a plugin for Figma? Check out our Make Plugins for Figma article and get started with the Figma Plugin API. Join the Figma Plugin Slack Community to connect with other plugin developers.
Anyone can browse the Figma Community on desktop or mobile. You'll need a Figma account to install plugins. If you've added profile connections, installing a plugin will install it across all your accounts.
- Open the file browser in Figma and select Explore the Community in the sidebar. Or open the workspace switcher and select Community.
- There are a few ways to explore plugins the Community:
- Select Feed to see resources from creators you follow
- Select Explore to browse trending resources
- Use the dropdown to sort results by trending, recent, or following
- Search for a plugin using by name, developer, or tag/keyword
- Click Plugins to filter results to plugins only.
- Select the plugin to view the plugin listing.
Part of an organization? Find plugins that are private to your organization. Click the organization name in the top-right corner to show internal results.
Every plugin will have its own resource page. This lets you view some relevant information about the plugin. Click on the plugin name to view the plugin page.
The plugin page show some basic information, like the plugin name, the Creator, and a description of the plugin.
Plugin developers can also personalize their plugin with an icon and cover art. Figma will use the icon to identify the plugin within the Community, and within the editor.
From the plugin listing you can:
- Install the plugin on your account ↓
- Click ♡ to like the plugin
- Select tag to explore other Community files and plugins that use the same tag
- View updates, bug fixes and improvements using the version history
- Reach out to the plugin developer or get help using the Support contact. Figma is not able to provide support for specific plugins.
Install a Plugin
Figma links any plugins you install to your Figma account. When you install a plugin, you will be able to use plugins in files in your drafts, as well as within team files
Organization admins can install plugins for the entire organization. Learn how to manage plugins in an organization →
- Click the Install button in the top-right corner of the listing.
- Figma will add the plugin to your account and the plugin will show as as Installed. Manage installed plugins →
Install a plugin from your search results, from within the Figma Community or via universal search.
- Search for and find the plugin you want to install.
- Click ↓ Install on the plugin.
- Figma will add the plugin to your account.
In the editor
Plugins developers can choose to attach information to the File, layer, or object for future reference. This lets you know what actions the plugin has performed.
When you select that layer, you'll be able to view the details of the plugins in the Plugins section of the right sidebar. From there you can run the plugin, or if you don't have it installed, install it.
- Select the layer that the plugin is attached to.
- Click on the plugin name in the Plugins section. Figma will ask you if you want to install the plugin.
- Once installed, you can run the plugin from the Properties Panel by clicking the plugin name again. Use plugins in the editor →
Note: If the plugin is attached to the entire file, you'll see it in the right sidebar when nothing is selected. To clear your current selection, press the