Widgets are custom objects you can add to your Figma design and FigJam files. They allow you to level up your sessions with new tools, data from external applications, or new ways to play.
Widgets live on the Figma editor or FigJam board for everyone to see and interact with. You can add as many widgets as you want, and reposition them like any other object. Use widgets to add functionality to your file, such as:
- Import CSVs to create tables, or to transform the data into interactive visualizations.
- Place polls and voting counters to gather insight from your company on a product idea.
- Build a project timeline with other teammates in a calendar widget.
- Create pre-styled mind maps and organization charts quickly.
- Take a break and play connect four or chess with a teammate.
Make widgets for Figma and FigJam
This article outlines the widget development process from beginning to end.
The widget development process includes:
- Setup your development environment →
- Create a widget for development →
- Publish widgets to the Figma Community →
- Manage widgets as a developer →
- Widgets must be developed and published from the Figma desktop app. The desktop app is only available on MacOS or Windows. Download and install the Figma desktop app →
Sell widget source code
Note: Ownership of paid widgets cannot be transferred.
If you’re interested in selling the source code and ownership of widget you’ve built, do the following:
- The buyer and seller must reach out to the Support team at email@example.com to facilitate the sale. For example, the seller emails Support with the buyer cc'd or vice versa.
- The seller must confirm that they are authorizing the sale.
- The buyer confirms they will abide by our Terms of Service after the sale.
Once this process is complete, the Support team transfers ownership of the widget between parties.
Keep in mind that once a widget has been published, the publisher cannot materially change the purpose or nature of the widget. In order to do so, a new widget must be published and reviewed again.