Create new projects
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan. You can only create projects in teams.
Only editors, admins and owners of teams or projects can make changes to projects.
Projects allow you to group related files together. Team members can access all projects within a team.
- Starter or Education teams: team members can access projects based on their team-level permissions.
- Professional or Organization teams: set permissions at a project level and create view-only or invite-only (private) projects. This allows you to give team members permissions on a project that differ from their team-level permissions.
👀 View-only projects
By default, only the project owner can edit the view-only project. Team members can only view files in this project, even if they have edit permissions on the team.
The project owner can allow team members and external collaborators to edit the project by inviting them to the project with edit permissions.
🔒 Invite-only projects
Invite-only projects are private projects that aren't available to all members of the team. Team members can only access invite-only projects if they are invited to them.
This is perfect for projects which need a smaller group of collaborators, or for confidential products or features. For example: a subset of team members that build and maintain the team's design system.
Note: You can still publish components from view-only or invite-only projects to a team's libraries. Only people with view access to that file/project can use those styles and components.
Create a new project from a few places:
Create a new project from the team
- Click New project in the menu bar:
Create a new project in a specific team, regardless of what team or project you're viewing in the file browser.
Hover over the team name in the left sidebar.
Click to create a new project
In the Create new project modal, give the project a memorable name. You can rename a project at any time.
Professional or Organization teams can set different permissions for this project. Click Everyone at
team namecan edit and choose from:
- Can edit: default project permissions. team members can access the project based on their team-level permissions.
- Can view: team members can only view files in this project, even if they have edit permissions on
- Invite-only: only team members or collaborators you invite to the project will be able to access files in this project. Team members won't see this project listed in the team.
Note: Starter and Education teams can only create can edit projects. Team members can access the project based on their team-level permissions.
Click Create project to create the new project.
Figma will open the project page in the file browser. Click the Add a description link on the project page.