Any Instance you create is linked to the main Component. Figma will apply any changes you make to the main Component, to the Instance.
Warning! It's not current possible to move a main Component to another file. Moving the main Component will break the link between the main Component and any Instances.
Make changes to Components
To make sure Figma applies changes to all Instances of a Component, you will need to edit the Main Component. You can only edit the Main Component in the file where it currently lives.
Figma will immediately apply any changes you make to any Instances in that file. If you want those changes to apply to Instances in other files, you will need to publish those changes to the Library.
Update the Main Component
You can go to the Main Component from any Instance.
- Select an instance in the current file.
- Open the Properties panel in the right sidebar.
- In the Instance section, click the Go to main Component link.
Once you select the main Component selected, you can make any changes. Figma will make sure those changes are applied to any linked Instances.
Tip! If you accessed the Main Component from another file, Figma will give you the option to Return to Instance after making your changes.
Publish changes to the Library
Warning: You can only publish and use Components via the Library, on a Professional team. Learn more about Figma's Professional plans: https://www.figma.com/pricing/
When you make changes to a Component, those changes will only apply to Instances within the current file.
If you want to update Instances in other files you will need to publish your changes to the Library.
- Go to the Library with the Main Component.
- Make any changes you'd like to the Main Component.
- Publish your changes to the Library.
- Figma will notify you of those changes when you open a file that uses these Components.
- Click Review and the choose which updates to apply to your file.
Learn more about sharing Components and publishing updates in our Team Library article.
Note: By default, Figma will open the main Component file in a new tab. Figma won't show you the Return to Instance prompt, but you can switch between tabs to return to the original instance.