Before you start
Who can use this feature
Publish styes is supported on any team or plan.
Publish components is supported on Education, Professional and Organization teams and plans.
Anyone with can edit access to a file can publish the file as a library.
Components are elements of your designs that you want to reuse - you can think of them like building blocks. Components help keep your designs consistent and allow you to quickly apply changes across multiple files and projects. They can be basic elements made up of a few layers, like buttons or icons. Or more elaborate combinations of other elements, like toolbars and menus.
Styles are sets of properties that can be applied to objects across your team's designs. You can use Styles to define attributes for color, text, stroke, fill, effects and layout grids.
Styles and components live in the files they are originally created in. To find and access styles and components across your files and projects, you can publish them as a library.This allows you to enable that library in your teams, drafts, or files.
Access components from the Assets panel in the left sidebar, and styles using the Style icon next to any relevant property.
Create the styles and main components that define your brand. Publish these styles and components as a library.
- Styles in Figma
- Manage and share styles
- Apply Styles to layers and objects
- Create styles for colors, text, effects and, layout grids
- Create and use variants
- Create components to reuse in designs
Manage and share
Continue to develop, iterate and refine your styles and components, and publish your changes to the library. Figma will keep a detailed record of your changes in the file's version history.
- Name and organize components
- Publish styles and components to a library
- Make changes to main components
- Unpublish a library to remove it for all collaborators
It's not possible to move components to a new file without breaking the connection between the main component and any existing instances.
You can move styles between files without breaking the connection. To move a style from its original location to your current file:
- Open the style picker from a relevant property.
- Right-click on the style and select Move style definition into this file.
Use style and component libraries
Enable libraries in team files to allow members to view and use them across their files. Designers and collaborators receive updates to styles and components, making sure they're always using the latest version.
- Enable libraries in drafts, teams, and files
- Create an instance of a component
- Swap between instances in a file
- Apply overrides to instances
- Detach instances from their main component
- Accept updates from a library
- Remove a file from your libraries
- Add and remove libraries in an organization
- Track library and component usage