Before you start
Who can use this feature
Anyone on a paid plan can publish a library. Anyone on any plan can access published libraries.
Anyone with can edit permission to a file can publish styles, components, and variables to a library.
Note: You can update a library’s assets by navigating to the file where they were initially published and modifying the original versions.
Create the styles, components and variables that define your brand and publish them as a library.
- Styles in Figma
- Manage and share styles
- Apply styles to layers and objects
- Create and manage variables
- Create styles for colors, text, effects and, layout grids
- Create and use variants
- Create and use component variants
- Create components to reuse in designs
Manage and share
Continue to develop, iterate and refine your styles and components, and publish your changes to the library. Figma will keep a detailed record of your changes in the file's version history.
- Name and organize components
- Publish styles, components, and variables to a library
- Make changes to main components
- Create branches and merge changes
- Move published components between files
- Unpublish a library to remove it for all collaborators
Enable libraries in team files to allow members to view and use them across their files. Designers and collaborators receive updates to styles, components and variables, making sure they're always using the latest version.
- Enable libraries in drafts, teams, and files
- Accept updates from a library
- Remove a file from your libraries
- Add and remove libraries in an organization
- Track library and component usage
Use styles, components and variables
Create local instances of components and apply styles or variables to layers in your files. Override properties of local instances or detach them to customize further. Swap individual instances or swap entire libraries.
- Create an instance of a component
- Apply variables to designs
- Apply overrides to instances
- Swap between instances in a file
- Detach instances from their main component
- Swap style and component libraries
There are a few different contexts for swapping your libraries:
- Manage missing libraries
- Swap between style themes
- Swap styles and instances in bulk