Who can use this feature
Supported on Education, Professional and Figma Organization plans
Anyone with can edit can remove styles and components from a library.
New to components? Guide to libraries →
There are a couple of ways to remove a style: remove it from a library, or delete it entirely. In this article, we'll cover removing style and components from a published library.
Are you a member of an organization? Use Library analytics to track component usage, including when components are detached.
To remove a style from your library, you will need to unpublish the style from library. You can only remove a style from the original file, where the style currently lives.
You can access the original style from any object that is currently using it:
- Select an object in the canvas that uses that style.
- Click on the style in the right sidebar
- Click the icon to edit the style.
- Click Go to style definition to open the style in the library.
You will also see an option to Move style definition into this file. This allows you to edit or delete that style without leaving the current file. Moving a style removes it from the original file. If you re-publish the original file, the style would no longer be included.
Remove from library
You can remove a style from a library without deleting the style itself. You can only do this from the original style, the style definition.
- Open the file where the style lives.
- Press Esc to clear your selection in the canvas.
- Click the icon next to the file name to open the menu.
- Select Publish styles and components to open the library modal.
- Click on the styles and components header to expand.
- Right-click on the style and select Remove from library.
- Repeat for any other style you want to unpublish.
- Click Publish to apply your changes and remove the styles.
If you don't want to use a style at all, you can delete it. This won't update the properties of any layers using those styles, but will detach them from the style. You can only delete the style definition in the file it originates from.
- With nothing selected in the canvas, you can view Local styles in the right sidebar. Click an empty spot or press Esc to deselect.
- Select one or more styles:
- Hold down Shift and click to select a range styles
- Hold down ⌘ Command / Control and click to select multiple non-adjacent styles.
- Select Delete style or Delete all from the options. Figma will remove the style and you will no longer be able to use it.
- Publish your changes to your library.
You can remove components when you publish changes to your Team library. Or, from a library you have already published. You can only remove components from the file they originate from.
Note: You can open the file for any component from any file with access to those components. Right-click on an instance of that component in the canvas and select Go to Main component.
- Open the file where your component lives.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar.
- Right-click on the component and select Remove from library.
- Figma will move the component(s) to the Private to this file section.
- Publish the changes to your Team library.
Tip! You can also quickly remove a component from your Team library via the Layers Panel. Add a period
. to the beginning of the component's name. Learn more in our Create Private components article.