Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Users on Any Figma plan can use the Desktop app
macOS: To use the Desktop app, you must be running 10.11 (OS X El Capitan) or later.
Windows: To use the Desktop app, you must be running Windows 8 or later in a 64-bit environment.
Learn more about supported platforms in our Supported Platforms and Browsers article.
You can access your Figma Files via their unique URL. These can be used to open the File in the browser, or in the Figma Desktop app.
There are a few different methods for opening Figma URLs in the Desktop app.
Note: Prototyping links can currently only be opened in the browser.
When you open a File link
When you click on a Figma link, Figma will open the link in the browser by default.
If you have the Desktop app installed, you'll see an alert when the File opens. Figma will ask you: Do you want to open this file in the Figma app?
There are a few options available:
- To continue to view the File in the browser, click Dismiss.
- To only open the app now, uncheck the box next to Always open in the app and click the Open in app button.
- If you'd like to open all Figma File links in the Desktop app, click Open in app:
Figma will open the Desktop app and load the File. You will still be able to view the File in the browser, click the Open here instead link in the browser window:
Tip! If you chose Always open in app, Figma will remember your decision. The next time you open a Figma URL you will be shown a loading screen in the browser.
Open the current File in the Desktop app
If you want to view your current File in the Desktop app, we have a Open in Desktop app setting. When you select this, Figma will open your current file in the Desktop app.
- Go to the menu in the top-left corner.
- Select Open in Desktop app from the options:
- The File will be loaded in the Figma Desktop app.
Note: You will need to log in to the same account on the Browser and Desktop app for this link to work.
If you are logged into an account that doesn't have access to a File - or you're logged into different accounts - you will not be able to open or access the File.
Update your link preferences
If you want to open all Figma URLs in the Desktop app, you can enable the Open links in Desktop app setting. You can find this in your Preferences.
You can only access this setting if:
- You have the Desktop app installed
- You are using the browser version of Figma. This setting isn't available in the Desktop app.
- Open the menu and hover over the Preferences option.
- Select the Open links in Figma app setting.
- A checkmark will be displayed next to the setting to show it is enabled. If there is a check next to the the setting already, you can select the setting again to disable it.