Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan
You must use the Figma desktop app to create and publish plugins. The Figma desktop app is only available for Mac and Windows. Download the Figma desktop app →
This article covers one step in the plugin development process. Learn how to make plugins for Figma →
Find all the information you need to get started writing plugins on the Figma plugin developers page.
You will need to create a plugin before you can start developing it. You must use the Figma desktop app to develop a plugin.
When you create a plugin, Figma will create a new plugin manifest on your computer. This includes the folders, templates, and information you'll need to build your plugin.
You can choose a plugin template when you create your plugin for development.
- Empty: A blank slate where you can build your plugin from the ground up.
- Run once: This is a template for a plugin that runs on the canvas, without any further interaction from the user. Use this template if you don't need to build any UI.
- With UI's and Browser API's: Use this template if you want to create a plugin with an interactive UI. Or, if you want to use browser APIs as part of your plugin.
Create a plugin
- Open the Figma desktop app
- Open the account menu in the top-right corner.
- Select Plugins to open your plugin management modal
- Under In Development, click .
- Select New Plugin to create a plugin using a plugin template
- Select Import new plugin from manifest if you already have your source code created on your computer.
- Follow the prompts provided to create your widget.
- Once you've created your plugin, you'll find it listed under the In Development section of your plugin management modal.
Want to open your manifest from Figma? Click on the plugin and select Reveal in Finder.