- Anyone with can view or can edit access in a FigJam file can use cursor chat.
- FigJam is Figma's new digital whiteboarding tool.
Cursor chat allows you to type live, temporary messages to others in your FigJam file. This is great for quick communication, such as:
- Reacting to a presenter's diagram ("love this!")
- Lightweight collaboration ("solid or dashed connectors?")
- Discussions about the contents of a file ("wait, how did you do that?")
- Spontaneous file encounters ("I'm in here too! Wanna voice chat?")
Enter cursor chat mode
There are multiple ways to enter cursor chat mode:
- Deselect everything on the board and use keyboard shortcut /
- Right-click the board and select Cursor chat from the menu
- With the emote wheel open, click
- Click in the upper right-hand corner and select cursor chat
Once you've entered cursor chat mode, an empty speech bubble appears next to your cursor.
Your chat bubble is anchored to your cursor and follows you around the board. You can pan around and pinch-to-zoom the board without exiting cursor chat.
Use cursor chat
Once cursor chat mode is activated, start typing and other collaborators in your file will see what you're typing as you're typing it. Because cursor chat is live, there is no action to confirm or send your message. Your cursor displays the message for five seconds after you're done typing.
Add more to the conversation by using temporary emote reactions.
Clear your chat
To clear your chat and type a new message, press Return / Enter on your keyboard. Your previous message will disappear, and you can immediately type a new one.
Figma does not keep a log of messages from cursor chat. Once you clear your chat, it'll disappear forever. If you need your messages to be permanent, consider dropping a comment instead.
Exit cursor chat mode
There are several ways to quickly exit out of cursor chat mode:
- Press Esc
- Click anywhere in your FigJam file
- Switch to a different tool
- Open a menu
FigJam also eventually fades your cursor chat and switches you back to the select tool if you haven't typed a new message in a while.