Duplicate or copy files
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan.
You need at least view access to a file to duplicate it.
Want to copy a Community file? Learn how to use files from the Community →
When you duplicate files, Figma will create a new copy of the original file. This copy doesn't include any comments or version history from the original file.
Your access to the file or project determines where the copy will live in your file browser:
- Can view: If you can only view the file, you will be able to send a duplicate copy of the file to your drafts. You can edit it in your drafts, or move it into a team project which you have can edit access to.
- Can edit: If you have edit access to the file, or the project its located in, Figma will create a copy of that file in its current location. You can edit it there, move it your drafts, or move it to another team or project.
There are a few places you can duplicate a file. If you don't see any of these options in your file, it means an editor on the file has restricted viewers from copying or exporting the file's contents.
Duplicate the file from anywhere in the file browser.
- Right-click on the file in the file browser.
- Select Duplicate from the options.
- Figma will prefix the new file's name with
Copy of, so you can distinguish between the original and the duplicate.
Note: You can also duplicate files from your deleted files folder. Learn how to duplicate and restore deleted files →
From an open file
Duplicate a file when viewing the file in the editor:
- Click on an empty spot in the canvas or use the keyboard shortcut to deselect any layers.
- Click file name to open the file menu and select Duplicate. If you only have view access to the file or project, you will see Duplicate to drafts here instead:
- Figma will create a copy of the file based on your access and the original file's location.
Browser address bar
You can also duplicate a file by adding
/duplicate to the end of the file. This only works when you are viewing the full file URL.
If you have a specific frame or layer selected, Figma will add an ID for that node to the URL. For example:
?node-id=21%3A0. You need to remove any node id's before adding
/duplicate to the file's URL.