Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan
Applies to both Figma design files and FigJam files.
Anyone can move files from their drafts to a team of which they are a member. You must have can edit access to the project to move a file to another team or project.
Change a file's location by moving it between your drafts, projects, and teams. You can move files from the Editor, or in the file browser.
Note: If you're the current owner of the file and are moving it to a team you are planning on leaving, you'll need to transfer ownership of the file first. If you're the owner of a team, you can transfer ownership of the entire team. This makes sure the files aren't lost for other collaborators when you leave the team or delete the files.
Move files between teams
Move files between projects and teams. You can move files from both the file browser or when you are viewing the file.
- If you move a file outside of a team, team members may no longer be able to access it.
- Only team members who are listed on the file sharing modal will still have access.
- Anyone with a role on that file will still have access to the file in its new location. Any editors will be included in your billing.
When you have the file open you can:
- Move a file from your drafts to a team
- Move a file to a different project
- Move a file to a project in a different team
- Create a new project and move a file into it
To move a file in the editor:
- Click on an empty spot in the canvas. This will deselect any layers.
- Click the File name in the Toolbar and select Move to project:
- Choose which project to move it to.
- Search for the team or project using the field provided.
- Choose an existing project within another team. Only favorited projects will appear in the window.
- Create a + New project in a team
- Click Move to confirm.
Move files between your drafts and any projects within a team. Only favorited projects show in the file browser. It's not possible to move a file into just a team, or into a project that you haven't favorited.
- Choose which file(s) you want to move
- Select a single file to move
- Hold Shift to select more than one file
- Click and drag to select multiple files
- Drag your selection over the new location in the file browser. Figma will highlight the project you are moving it to.
- Release to move the file.
Move files between accounts
There are two different ways you can move a file between Figma accounts.
Share the file
Sharing a file makes it accessible to another destination account. After sharing the file, you can move it to another team project. Use this method to move files between different accounts.
- Invite the other account as an Editor to the file using the correct email address.
- If the file(s) are in another team, you can move them to a new team and invite the other account to that team.
Export the file
You can also export your design files in
.fig or FigJam files in
.jam format. This allows you to upload those files to another Figma account. Use this method to move files between organization teams and external teams.
Figma treats them as new files and won't copy across any permissions, comments or version history from the original. When you import the file again, any components are created as new main components. Instances are no longer linked to the original file and won't receive any updates.
- Open the file you want to export.
- Click to open the main menu.
- Go to File > Save a local copy to download a copy of the file to your downloads folder.
- Open the Figma Account you want to move it to.
- Import the
.jamfile by dragging the file into Figma.
Favorited projects appear in the sidebar in the file browser, this allows you to move them between teams you're a member of.
Favorite the project
- Open the project page in the file browser
- In the top-right corner, click the star icon
- Figma will add the project to the sidebar in the file browser
Move the project
Favorited projects can be moved to a new team.
- Click and hold the project name in the file browser.
- Drag the project name so that it appears underneath the team name.
- Release to move the project. Click Move project to confirm the location.