Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Users on Any Figma plan
Anyone can move files from their Drafts. You must be an Editor on the project to move a file to another team or project.
Move files between Drafts, projects, and teams to change its location. You can move files from the Editor, or in the File Browser.
Move files in the Editor
In the Editor, you can:
- Move a file from your Drafts to a team
- Move a file to a different project
- Move a file to a project in a different team
- Create a new project and move a file into it
Note: If you move a File outside of a team, team members may no longer be able to access it. Only team members who are listed on the file sharing modal will still have access.
- Click on an empty spot in the Canvas. This will deselect any layers.
- Click the File name in the Toolbar and select Move to Project:
- Choose which project to move it to.
- Search for the team or project using the field provided.
- Choose an existing project within another team. Only favorited projects will appear in the window.
- Create a + New Project in a team
- Click Move to confirm.
Move files in the File Browser
In the File Browser, you can move files between your Drafts and any projects within a team.
Only favorited projects show in the File Browser. It's not possible to move a file into just a team, or into a project that you haven't favorited.
- Choose which file(s) you want to move
- Select a single file to move
- Hold Shift to select more than one file
- Click and drag to select multiple files
- Drag your selection over the new location in the File Browser. Figma will highlight the project you are moving it to.
- Release to move the file.
Move files between accounts
If you're deleting an old team or handing over files, you may want to move a File to another account.
There are two different ways you can move a file between Figma accounts.
Share the file
- Invite the other account as an Editor to the File using the correct email address.
- If the File(s) are in another team, you can move them to a new team and invite the other account to that team.
Export the file
You can also export your files as .fig files. This allows you to upload the file to another Figma account.
When you import the file again, we will also treat Components as new main Components. Instances are no longer linked to the original file and won't receive any updates.
- Open the file you want to export.
- Go to the main menu
- Go to File > Save as .fig. Figma will download a copy of the file to your downloads folder.
- Open the Figma Account you want to move it to.
- Import the .fig file by dragging the file into Figma.
Tip! Create a duplicate by adding&
/duplicate to the end of the file URL. Then you can open the URL in your other Figma account. Figma treats this as a new file, so it doesn't include the existing Permissions, Comments or Version History.