Before you start
Who can use this feature
Anyone in a Figma Organization Plan
Any member of an Organization can publish styles and components to the Organization, or a team in the Organization. Members will need can edit access to files to publish them.
Only Organization Admins can choose default libraries
New to Components and Libraries? Learn more about getting started with Components →
Styles and components live in the files you created them in. To access and reuse these in other files, you can publish them to a library. This allows you to maintain a consistent brand and style, at scale.
In an Organization, you can publish files to a team in the Organization, or to the entire Organization.
At Figma we call these libraries, but you can think of these as Design Systems. Libraries allow you to improve access and adoption of your Organization's design system.
Publish a library
Build collections of styles and components to reuse in your designs. Publish your styles and components to a team, or share them with your entire Organization.
Use the file's link sharing settings to control who can view and edit files in your Organization. You can do this when you first publish the library, or once you publish the library.
- Open the file in the editor.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar.
- Click the to open the Library modal.
- Click Publish next to the Current file.
- Enter a summary of your changes in the field provided.
- To publish to the Organization, check the box next to Allow any member of Organization to access the file. Leave unchecked to publish to the team only.
- Click Publish to confirm.
Choose default libraries
Encourage adoption of your design system by enabling default component and style libraries.
When you enable a library in an Organization, Figma will make styles and components from that library available in any Organization files.
- Select styles in the style picker for any relevant properties.
- Select colors from any styles in the palette of the color picker.
- Access components in the Assets panel of the left sidebar.
All members of your Organization will be able to use styles and components from these libraries. However, you will need to give guests access to the library file to allow them to use those styles and components.
Only Organization Admins can choose default libraries for the Organization. Members can still enable libraries for specific teams and files in an Organization.
Tip! Track how members of your Organization are using components with design system analytics. Learn more about library analytics →
You can control which libraries you share with your Organization. Remove any libraries you don't want to share with the rest of the Organization.
You will need to unpublish the file, and change the link sharing settings to prevent members from accessing the file.
Unpublish the file
- Open the file you want to remove.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar and click [ICON].
- In the Library modal, click on the library in the Current file.
- Click the Unpublish button at the bottom of the modal:.
- Click Remove file from Library to confirm.
- Figma will return you to the file. The status bar will indicate that we have removed the file from the Library.
Update link sharing
Adjust the file's link sharing settings to prevent members of the Organization from finding and using the file.
- Click the Share button in the menu bar.
- Click the next to the existing link access. This will be set to Anyone at Organization.
- Select Only people invited to this file from the options.
- Members of the Organization won't be able to access the file. The file will still be available to any members of the team, or anyone with a role the file.