Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on the Figma Organization plan
Any member of an organization can publish styles and components to a team or the organization. Members will need can edit access to files to publish them.
Only organization admins can choose default libraries
New to components and libraries? Guide to libraries in Figma →
Styles and components live in the files you created them in. To access and reuse these in other files, you can publish them to a library. This allows you to maintain a consistent brand and style, at scale.
Publish styles and components in organization files to a team in the organization, or share them with the entire organization.
At Figma we call these collections of styles and components libraries. Libraries allow you to improve access and adoption of your organization's design system.
Publish a library
Build collections of styles and components to reuse in your designs. Publish your styles and components to a team, or share them with your entire organization.
Determine who can view and edit libraries using the file's link sharing settings. You can set a file's link sharing settings when you first publish the library, or update after you publish the file as a library.
- Open the file in the editor.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar.
- Click the to open the Library modal.
- Click Publish next to the Current file.
- Enter a summary of your changes in the field provided. This description will appear in the file's version history.
- Check the box next to Allow any member of
organization nameto access the file. Leave unchecked to publish to the team only.
- Click the Publish button to confirm.
Every time you publish a library, Figma will add a checkpoint to the file's version history. You can identify these events with the icon.
Choose default libraries
Encourage adoption of your design system by enabling default component and style libraries.
When you enable a library in an organization, Figma will make styles and components from that library available to members in any organization files within the organization workspace. To allow guests to use these styles and components, you will need to invite them to the associated file.
- Select styles in the style picker for any relevant properties.
- Select colors from any styles in the palette of the color picker.
- Access components in the Assets panel of the left sidebar.
Tip! Track how members of your organization are using components with design system analytics. Learn more about library analytics →
Organization admins can also remove any libraries they don't want to share with the rest of the organization. To prevent members from using these styles and components you will need to do both unpublish the file and update the file's link sharing settings.
Unpublish the file
- Open the file you want to remove.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar and click the library icon.
- In the Library modal, click on the library in the Current file.
- Click the Unpublish button at the bottom of the modal:.
- Click Remove file from library to confirm.
- Figma will return you to the file. The status bar will indicate that Figma has removed the file from the library.
Update link sharing
Adjust the file's link sharing settings to prevent members of the organization from finding and using the file.
- Click the Share button in the menu bar.
- Click the next to the existing link access. This will be set to Anyone at
- Select Only people invited to this file from the options.
- Members of the organization won't be able to access the file. The file will still be available to any members of the team, or anyone with a role the file.