Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on the Figma Organization plan.
Every file and prototype in Figma has a unique URL. In an organization, members can copy this link to quickly share designs and prototypes with other members of the organization.
Members can interact with a file based on the file's link sharing permissions, regardless of whether they're a member of that team or project. If public link sharing is enabled, members can also share files with people outside the organization.
Link sharing settings
A file's link sharing settings control who can open a file or prototype and what permissions they have.
The default settings for the Figma Organization plan is Anyone at organization with link and can view. You can update the link sharing settings for each file.
Find and open
Choose how members can find and open files via link sharing.
- Choose Anyone with the link to allow people inside and outside the organization to access the file. This includes both members and guests who have the link.
- Choose Anyone at organization with the link: members need a link to the file to access it. When they open the link, they can view the file.
- Choose Anyone at organization to let anyone in the organization access the file. Use this setting for library files you want to share with the whole organization. Guests can't access these files unless you invite them to the file or team.
- Choose Only people invited to this file if you only want team members or people you explicitly invite to the file to access it.
Note: Organization admins can disable public link sharing in the organization's Admin settings. This removes Anyone with the link from the link sharing options and prevents anyone outside the organization accessing files via link sharing.
Choose what level of access other members of the organization get via link sharing. This only applies to anyone who opens the file via a link, not team members or people with an explicit role on the file.
- Choose can edit to give anyone who opens the file the option to edit.
- Choose can view to allow people to view the file without being able to make any edits.
- Choose can view prototypes only to only allow them to access the prototype, and not the designs in the file itself.
|Discovery||can edit||can view||can view prototypes only|
Anyone with the link
Anyone at organization with link
Anyone at organization
Only people invited to this file
Update link sharing
We recommend confirming your link sharing settings in the Share modal before you share your file.
File URLs stay the same regardless of their location or link sharing settings. It's not possible to set temporary links, custom URLs, or passwords for files or prototypes.
- Click the Share button in the file.
- Click the next to the link sharing setting to choose how people can find and access the file.
- Click the to set the permissions for sharing links.
- Click the next to Anyone else with a prototype link to set a permission for any prototypes in the file..
- Check the box if you want the URL or embed code to Link to selected Frame (optional).
- Click Copy Link to copy the file URL to your clipboard. If you're using Figma in the browser, you can also copy the file link in the address bar.
Interact with files
When members open an organization file, Figma will give them
can view access by default. This prevents members from being accidentally upgraded when they view a file.
If the link sharing setting for a file is
can edit, members can get edit access to the file ↓
There are only some actions you can perform with
can view access:
- Click the Hand tool to pan around the canvas
- Click the Move tool to select layers in the canvas or layers panel
- Click the to add comments
- Measure distances between layers and objects
- View layer properties in the Inspect panel
- Copy the contents of any text layers
- Copy frames, components, objects or layers within files.*
- Export frames and layers as assets*
Note: Actions with an asterisk* are only supported if the Allow viewers to copy, share, and export from this file setting is on. Learn more about restricting who can copy and share files →
If the link sharing settings are set to
can edit, members can get edit access to the file. Learn what editors can and can't do →
To get edit access:
- Click the Edit file button in the toolbar. If you hover over this button, Figma will display the link sharing permissions for the file.
- Figma will upgrade you to an editor in the organization and allow you to edit the file. This won't give you a role on the file, or affect your permissions on other files or teams.
Caution: If the member has a viewer role, clicking this button will upgrade them to a paid editor role. Figma will include them in the organization's next true-up. Learn more about quarterly true-ups →