Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on the Organization and Enterprise plans.
Every file and prototype in Figma has a unique URL. In an organization, members can copy this link to quickly share designs and prototypes with other members of the organization.
Members can interact with a file based on the file's link sharing permissions, regardless of whether they're a member of that team or project. If public link sharing is enabled, members can also share files with people outside the organization.
A file's link sharing settings control who can open a file or prototype (access) and what type of actions they can take (permissions).
The default settings for the Organization and Enterprise plans is Anyone at organization with link and can view. You can update the link sharing settings for each file.
|Discovery||can edit||can view||can view prototypes only|
Anyone with the link
Anyone at organization with link
Anyone at organization
Only people invited to this file
Choose how members can find files in the organization.
- Anyone with the link: anyone inside or outside the organization can access the file. All they need is a link to the file.
- Anyone at organization with the link: only members of the organization can access the file. Members can only access the file is they open a link to that file.
- Anyone at organization: members can find this file when browsing and searching. Use this setting to share libraries with the organization. Guests can't access these files unless you invite them to the file or team.
- Only people invited to this file: only the members or guests you invite to that file, or the team it lives in, can access the file.
Note: Organization admins can disable public link sharing for the organization. This removes Anyone with the link from the link sharing options and prevents anyone outside the organization accessing files via link sharing.
The link sharing permissions control what level of access someone has when they access a file using the link. This only applies to anyone who access the file via a link, not team members or people invited to the file.
- Can edit: anyone who opens the file can get edit access.
- Can view: anyone who opens a file link can only view the file.
- Can view prototypes only: anyone who opens the link can access any prototypes on that file, but not the underlying pages in the file.
The file's link sharing permissions will dictate the file experience for anyone who opens a link to that file. Whether they can actually edit the file depends on their Figma design or FigJam role.
Can edit files
If the link sharing settings are set to
can edit, members are to get edit access to the file. Members or guests will see an Edit file button next to the file's name in the toolbar.
What happens next depends on the person's Figma design or FigJam role:
- Editors can click Edit file to start editing the file right away.
- Viewers can click this button to upgrade to a paid editor role and edit the file. This doesn't affect their permissions on other files or teams. Figma will include them in the organization's next quarterly true-up.
- Viewer-restricted members or guests can click Edit file to request an upgrade. This sends a request which organization admins can approve or deny. They can only edit the file once an admin accepts the request. Request upgrades →
Can view files
When members open an organization file, Figma will give them
can view access by default. This prevents members from being accidentally upgraded when they view a file. There are only some actions you can perform with
can view access:
- Click the Hand tool to pan around the canvas
- Click the Move tool to select layers in the canvas or layers panel
- Click the to add comments
- Measure distances between layers and objects
- View layer properties in the Inspect panel
- Copy the contents of any text layers
- Copy frames, components, objects or layers within files.*
- Export frames and layers as assets*
Note: Actions with an asterisk* are only supported if the Allow viewers to copy, share, and export from this file setting is on. Restrict who can copy and share files →
Update file settings
We recommend confirming your link sharing settings in the Share modal before you share your file.
File URLs stay the same regardless of their location or link sharing settings. It's not possible to set temporary links, custom URLs, or passwords for files or prototypes.
- Click the Share button in the file.
- Click the next to the link sharing setting to choose how people can find and access the file.
- Click the to set the permissions for sharing links.
- Click the next to Anyone else with a prototype link to set a permission for any prototypes in the file..
- Check the box if you want the URL or embed code to Link to selected Frame (optional).
- Click Copy Link to copy the file URL to your clipboard. If you're using Figma in the browser, you can also copy the file link in the address bar.