Who can use this feature
Supported on the Figma Organization plan.
Members can publish a library to the team or the organization. Members need can edit access to a file to publish it.
Team admins can enable any library that has been shared with the organization, for their specific team(s).
Only organization admins can choose which libraries are available to all teams by default.
Libraries are design files that include styles and components that are reused across a brand, product, or project. Guide to libraries →
In an organization, you can publish libraries to a specific team or to the organization. This allows members to access those libraries library in files, and team admins to turn on those libraries for their team.
Organization admins can also make a library available to all teams in the organization. This enables the library for all teams and organization files.
When an admin makes a library available to the entire organization, this updates the link sharing settings of that file to Anyone at organization. This allows members to access the styles and components from that library. Share files in an organization →
Note: Guests can only access libraries you invite them to. Invite guests to the original file to give them access to those styles and components across organization files.
- Anyone with can edit access to a file can publish styles and components as a library.
Use the file's link sharing setting to choose who can access and use a library. Publish a library to a specific team, or share with the organization to make it available to all teams.
You can set a file's link sharing settings when you first publish the library, or when you publish an update.
- Open the file in the editor.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar.
- Click the to open the Library modal.
- Click Publish next to the Current file.
- Enter a summary of your changes in the field provided. This description will appear in the file's version history.
- To publish to the organization: Check the box next to Allow any member of
organization nameto access the file.
- To publish to that team only: Leave the Allow any member... setting unchecked.
- Click Publish to share the library and update the file's link sharing settings.
Every time you publish a library, Figma will add a checkpoint to the file's version history. You can identify these events with the icon.
Turn library on for a team
- Only team admin can manage libraries for that team.
- Files must be shared with the organization to access from another team.
If a library is shared with the organization, team admins can turn on that library for their team. This applies to files and libraries that live in another team in the organization.
Team admins can choose to turn libraries on for FigJam files, Design files, or All files. Team members can then access and use styles and components in those team files.
Turn library on for organization
- Only organization admins can manage default libraries.
Organization admins can make libraries available to all teams in the organization. Turn libraries on for FigJam files, Figma design files, or both files.
If the library isn't already shared with the organization, organization admins can update organization access as part of that process.
Tip! Track how members of your organization are using components with design system analytics. Learn more about library analytics →
There are three steps or tasks related to sharing libraries in an organization:
- Publish the styles and components to a library
- Make that library available to members of the organization
- Turn on a default library across the organization
You can also reverse any or all of those steps, depending on the outcome you desire:
- Unpublish the library ↓ to remove these styles and components from the Libraries modal. This breaks the connection between the main components and any instances.
- Remove organization access ↓ to update a published library so that its only shared within a specific team in the organization.
- Turn off organization library ↓ to remove it as a default library in all organization files. Members can still enable this library manually in the library modal of specific files or teams.
Unpublish the library
Unpublish the library to remove everyone's access to the library. This removes the library at both the team and organization levels.
This doesn't remove styles and components from organization files, but those styles and components won't receive any further updates.
- Open the file you want to remove.
- Open the Assets panel in the left sidebar and click the library icon.
- In the Library modal, click on the library in the Current file.
- Click the Unpublish button at the bottom of the modal:.
- Click Remove file from library to confirm.
- Figma will return you to the file. The status bar will indicate that Figma has removed the file from the library.
Turn off organization library
Organization admins can turn off a library so that it's no longer a default library in organization files. Team admins can still enable this library for their teams and members can still access the library in organization files.
- Select Admin settings in the sidebar.
- Select the Resources page and then select the Libraries tab.
- Click Off next to the library to adjust.
Remove organization access
Adjust the file's link sharing settings to prevent members of the organization from finding and using the file.
Do just this step to remove the library from organization members, while keeping it published to a specific team.
- Click the Share button in the menu bar.
- Click the next to the existing link access. This will be set to Anyone at
- Select Only people invited to this file from the options.
- Members of the organization won't be able to access the file. The file will still be available to any members of the team, or anyone with a role on that file.