Use the pencil tool to sketch on the canvas or other objects. It's a great way to call attention to something on the canvas or draw something fun.
Use the pencil
By default, the pencil tool sketches with a round 3px stroke weight in black, unless you're sketching on a dark canvas or frame. These properties can be adjusted before or after you start sketching.
To start drawing:
- Click pencil in the top toolbar or press ⇧ P.
- Pick a color fill, stroke weight, and end point style from the Stroke section of the right sidebar.
- Click and drag on the canvas to sketch.
The pencil tool stays active until you select another tool or press Esc.
Want to draw in a straight line? Hold Shift while drawing, or try the pen tool.
Edit pencil sketches
Color and stroke properties
You can change a pencil sketch's colors, add a color style, end point style, and stroke weight at any time.
- Select the sketch on the canvas.
- Edit the color fill, stroke weight, and end point style from the Stroke section of the right sidebar. You can also click to change the line style to dashes, or created a custom style.
To change the dimension of a pencil sketch:
- Select the layers you want to adjust.
- Drag the side or corner of a sketch's bounding box to resize its dimensions.
You can resize proportionally by pressing ⇧ Shift while dragging.
Delete pencil sketches
To delete a pencil sketch:
- Select any sketches you want to remove from the canvas or Layers panel.
- Press Delete.