Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on all team and organization plans.
Anyone with can edit access to a file, project, or team can subscribe a channel to that resource.
Anyone with can edit access to a file can see previews of the file in Slack.
Stay on top of updates to Figma files, projects, and teams by installing the Figma integration for Slack. With the Figma integration in Slack, you can:
- View a single feed of Figma comments you’ve been mentioned in
- Get timely feedback from teammates and stakeholders
- Customize Slack channels with updates on specific projects and teams, or conversations happening in relevant files.
Figma notifications in Slack come in two types: default notifications and channel subscriptions.
Default notifications ↓ appear on your Figma app channel and include comments you've been mentioned in and invitations to files, projects, and teams.
With channel notifications ↓, you can customize your Slack channels to receive notifications on specific files, projects, and teams. Notifications can include comments, mentions, branching updates, new files, and new projects. Learn more ↓
To set up your Figma app integration in Slack:
- Add the Figma app to your Slack workspace ↓.
- Once added, connect your Figma account to Slack ↓ to receive notifications and create channel subscriptions.
If you want to use the Figma integration in multiple Slack workspaces, you'll need to repeat the set up process in each workspace.
Add Figma app to Slack
Any Slack workspace member can install apps to the Slack workspace. However, Slack owners and admins can restrict this ability.
Add the Figma app to your Slack workspace from the Slack App Directory.
- Navigate to the Apps section of your Slack workspace.
- Click or Add apps.
- Search Figma in the directory.
- Install the Figma app and authorize access to your Figma files.
Once you’ve successfully added the Figma app to your Slack workspace, any member of the Slack workspace can connect their Figma account and subscribe channels to notifications.
Tip! In the Figma app channel, type
help and hit send to see tips on using the Figma integration in Slack.
Connect your Figma account to Slack
If the Figma app has been added to your Slack workspace, be sure to connect your Figma account to Slack.
- Open the Figma app in Slack workspace.
- Click Connect your account. A tab will appear prompting you give Figma access to Slack.
- Click Allow.
Get default notifications
After set up is complete, you’ll start receiving these notifications by default:
- Comments you’ve been mentioned in
- Files, projects, and teams you've been invited to
Default notifications show up in your Figma app channel.
You can turn these notifications on and off at any time.
Manage default notifications
To turn your default notifications from Figma on or off in Slack:
- Navigate to the Figma app channel.
stopin the text field to turn notifications off
startin the text field to turn notifications on
- Press return or enter to send the message.
Get channel notifications
Receive updates on specific Figma files, projects, and teams in your Slack channels. You can subscribe channels to updates on any resource where you have can edit access, and customize the frequency of notifications for each subscription.
The types of notifications a channel receives depend on the resource type:
New files added to project
New projects added to team
Here are some ways to make the most out of channel notifications:
- Create new channels dedicated to receiving notifications on project-specific files. This allows main channels to be used for conversation, minimizing channel noise.
- Notify your team channel of newly added files to a Figma project or team. This avoids needing to send file links over Slack or email every week for weekly meetings or retros.
- Customize a Slack channel with updates on conversations happening in relevant files.
Add Figma app to a channel
If the Figma app hasn’t been added to a channel, you’ll need to add it first before you can create subscriptions.
- Open the Slack channel you want to receive Figma notifications.
/invite @figmaand press enter or return.
Once Figma has been added, you can create subscriptions for that channel.
Create a channel subscription
Before you create a subscription in a Slack channel, make sure you’ve added the Figma app to the channel.
To create a subscription for a Slack channel to receive updates on a Figma resource:
- Open the Slack channel.
/figma subscribeand press enter or return. A modal appears for you to configure your subscription.
- From the modal:
- Choose the type of source you want updates for: file, project, or team.
- Find your resource using the search bar.
- Choose how often updates on this resource will be delivered: real time, hourly, or daily.
- For daily notifications, choose a specific time for them to be delivered to the channel.
Subscriptions are created one at a time. Repeat the process above to create more subscriptions. Each channel can have unlimited subscriptions, and multiple channels can be subscribed to the same resource.
Comments made within 10 minutes of each other will be batched in a single Slack message instead of individual messages.
Remove a channel subscription
To stop receiving notifications about updates on a file, project, or team in a channel, you can remove the subscription:
- Open the Slack channel you wish to remove a subscription from.
/figma listand press
enter. A list of the channel’s subscriptions will appear.
- Click delete subscription next to the subscription you wish to no longer receive notifications.
Remove Figma from Slack
To completely remove the Figma integration, you will need to disconnect the app from your Slack workspace.