Before you start
Who can use this feature
Anyone on the Figma Organization plan can share files inside and outside the Organization with link sharing.
When you open a file link in an Organization, you won't get a role on that file.
Every file and prototype in Figma has a unique URL. For example:
You can use this link to share designs and prototypes with members of your Organization. This includes Organization members who aren't invited to that specific file or team.
In this article, we'll show you a file's link sharing settings, and how to control who can view and edit files.
You can also share files with members and guests by inviting them to the file or team. Learn more about sharing in an Organization →
Use link sharing settings to define who can open the file, and whether they have view or edit access.
You can update the link sharing settings for each file. The default settings are Anyone at Organization with link and can view.
Choose how members of your Organization can share and access files via links. Guests of an Organization can only access files and teams to which they have been invited.
- Choose Anyone with the link to allow people inside and outside the Organization to access the file. This includes both members of the Organization and Guests who have the link.
- Choose Anyone at Organization with the link: Organization members will need to have a link to the file to access it. When they open the link, they can view the file.
- Choose Anyone at Organization to allow anyone in the Organization to access the file. Use this setting for library files you want to share with the whole Organization. Guests of the Organization won't be able to access these files unless you invite them to the file or team.
- Choose Only people invited to this file if you only want team members or people you explicitly invite to the file to access it.
It's possible to disable public link sharing in an Organization. This prevents anyone outside the Organization from accessing files via the file link.
Organization Admins can contact the Figma Support team to turn off this functionality. This will remove the Anyone with the link option from the link sharing options.
Interact with files
Choose what level of access other members of the Organization have, once they open the file.
This setting applies to anyone who opens the file, unless they're a member of the team or have an explicit role on the file.
- Choose can edit to give anyone who opens the file the option to edit.
- Choose can view to allow people to view the file without being able to make any edits.
- Choose can view prototypes only to only allow them to access the prototype, and not the designs in the file itself.
|Discovery||can edit||can view||can view prototypes only|
Anyone with the link
Anyone at Organization with link
Anyone at Organization
|Only people invited to this file||🚫||🚫||🚫|
Update link sharing
File URLs stay the same regardless of their location or link sharing settings. It's not possible to set temporary links, custom URLs, or passwords for files or prototypes.
We recommend updating link sharing settings before you share your file with others. Adjust the link sharing settings for each file from the share modal.
- Click the Share button in the file.
- Click the next to the link sharing setting to choose how people can find and access the file.
- Click the to set the permissions for sharing links.
- Click the next to Anyone else with a prototype link to set a permission for any prototypes in the file..
- Check the box if you want the URL or embed code to Link to selected Frame (optional).
- Click Copy Link to copy the file URL to your clipboard. If you're using Figma in the browser, you can also copy the file link in the address bar.
Tip! Click and then toggle Allow Viewers to copy, share, and export from this file off and on. Learn more about restricting who can copy and share files →
Interact with file links
When members of an Organization open file links, Figma will give them can view access by default. This prevents members from being accidentally upgraded when they view a file.
There are only some actions you can perform with can view access:
- Click the Hand tool to pan around the canvas
- Click the Move tool to select layers in the canvas or layers panel
- Click the to add comments
- Measure distances between layers and objects
- View layer properties in the Code panel
- Copy the contents of any text layers
- Copy frames, Components, objects or layers within files.*
- Export frames and layers as assets*
Note: Actions with an asterisk* are only supported if the Allow Viewers to copy, share, and export from this file setting is on.
If the link sharing settings are set to can edit, members will have the option to edit the file. This will allow them to:
- Access every tool in the toolbar to move, scale, or edit any layers.
- Create, edit, and view interactive prototypes.
- View a file's available version history.
Note: If the member isn't an existing Editor, this action will upgrade their role in the Organization to an Editor. Figma will include any extra Editor seats in the Organization's next true-up. Learn more about managing new Editors in our quarterly true-ups article.
- Click the Edit file button in the toolbar. If you hover over this button, Figma will display the link sharing permissions for the file.
- Figma will upgrade you to an Editor in the Organization and allow you to edit the file. This won't give you a role on the file, or affect your permissions on other files or teams.