Before you start
Who can use this feature
Users on Figma Organization Plan
Only Organization Admins can remove a member from the Organization.
When a member leaves an Organization, you can remove them in Figma. This applies to members, Organization Admins and Guests.
When you remove someone from an Organization, Figma will:
- Immediately remove their access to the Organization.
- Prevent them from accessing teams, files or libraries in the Organization.
- Transfer ownership of any teams to the member with the next highest permissions on that team (an Admin or Editor).
- Transfer ownership of their files and projects to an existing Editor.
- Move the contents of their Drafts to the Organization's Shared Projects folder.
There are a few steps to take when removing a Member from an Organization.
Transfer teams, files and projects
Note: If there are no Admins or Editors on those teams, files, or projects, those resources will no longer have an owner. Organization Admins can access these resources and assign new owners.
Remove a member from Figma
Caution: When you remove a member, Figma will move the contents of their Drafts to the Shared Projects folder in the Organization. This will lock the files for other collaborators.
Organization Admins will need to assign a new owner and move the project to a new team, before collaborators can resume editing them.
- Go to the Members tab in the Admin Console.
- Search for the member using the field provided. Hover over their entry in the list.
- Click the in the right-hand column and select Remove from the options:
- Check the box next to I understand that this action isn't reversible and click Remove member.
- Figma will remove that member's access to their teams, files and projects. As well as transfer their Drafts to the Shared Projects folder in the Organization. This will lock files for any other collaborators with access to them.
Remove a member from your identity provider
If your Organization members are configured via SAML SSO, you will also need to remove the user from your identity provider.
This isn't something that we can help you with directly, but we've rounded up some documentation from supported providers below.
- Add or Delete Users in Azure Active Directory
- Suspending or Deleting Users in OneLogin
- Activate and Deactivate Users in Okta
View and manage shared projects
Organizations own all files within the Organization space. This includes files within the Drafts folder of any member.
When you remove a member from an Organization, Figma moves any files from the member's Drafts to the Shared Projects folder. This locks those files and projects for any other collaborators with access to them.
Organization Admins can then view those files and projects, and choose where to move them to. Admins will need to assign new owners to those resources before collaborators can continue to edit them.
- Open Figma in the File Browser.
- Click on the Shared Projects folder in the sidebar.
- Find the member's drafts you want to manage. It will look something like
Name's (firstname.lastname@example.org) Deleted Drafts.
- You'll need to move the folder to a Team before you can access the files within it.
- In the menu bar, click on the folder name and select Add to favorites from the options.
- The folder will now appear in the sidebar of the File Browser. Click and hold on the folder in the File Browser and drag it to a new team.
- You can then: