Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Users on Any plan can use comments
Users with at least View access to a File can use comments
Comments takes collaboration to the next level. You can use Comments to respond to feedback, tweak your designs and iterate faster. All from the original design File.
You can add Comments to Files or Prototypes.
To enter Comment mode, click the Comment icon in the toolbar:
Note: You won't be able to make any changes to Objects in the Canvas while you are viewing Comments. You will need to select another tool in the Toolbar to continue editing a File.
Add a comment
You can add a Comment to any location on the canvas. This can also be a specific Frame, Group or Layer.
- Click on the Comment icon in the Toolbar, or use the keyboard shortcut: [C].
- Your cursor will now appear as a Comment icon:
- Click on the location in the canvas you'd like the Comment to appear. A Comment field will appear that allows you to enter your message.
- Type your message in the field. You can add Emoji or Mention collaborator's in your message.
- Click Post to send:
Mention a collaborator
You can " @mention" or "at mention" collaborators in your Comments. This allows you to include them in the discussion, or draw their attention to a specific Frame or section.
In Team Files you can mention anyone else who is in your Team.
In Files outside of Teams, you can invite anyone you "know" in Figma:
- This matches the collaborators that you can add via the Sharing Modal.
- This includes people who are on the same Team, Projects or Files as you.
- Anyone who has invited you to a File.
- Anyone you have invited to a File.
Add a mention to a comment
You can add a mention when you are adding or replying to a Comment.
- Add a new Comment or reply to an existing Comment.
- In the Comment field, enter the "@" key to create a Mention. Start typing in the person's Name or Email Address. We will suggest collaborator's based on your history:
- Click the Tab or Enter key to select a collaborator. Or, click on the person's name in the list.
- Complete the rest of your message and click Post:
- We will send a notification to the person via Email, as well as in Figma (if enabled).
Note: If you'd like to Mention someone who is missing from the list, then you will need to invite them to the File first.
Add emoji to a comment
You can also add Emoji to your Comments. You can do this when adding or replying to Comments.
- When you are adding a Comment, click on the smiley face icon:
- You can then:
- Use the Search bar to find the emoji you're after.
- Choose from your Frequently Used emoji.
- Browser through the catalogue of emoji.
- Click on the emoji to add it to your message. This will appear in short-hand, not as the emoji. Don't worry, your emoji will appear when you click Post!
- Click Post. Your emoji will be included along with your message: