Before you Start
Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan.
Anyone with at least can view access to a file can add and view comments
Comments take collaboration to the next level. You can use comments to respond to feedback, tweak your designs, and iterate faster—all from the original design file or prototype.
Add comments to files or prototypes in comment mode. You can @mention your collaborators, as well as add emoji to your messages.
Add a comment
Add a comment to a pinned location or region on the canvas. Figma will attach your comment to frames when you pin a comment or select a region inside a top-level frame, component, or group. If those frames are moved around the canvas, their comments move with them. Comments won't attach to any nested frames, components, groups, or other layers.
- Click in the toolbar, or press C to enter comment mode. Your cursor will turn into a .
- Select a location to comment on:
- Click the location on the canvas where you'd like the comment to be pinned.
- Or, click and drag your cursor to select a region to comment on.
- Type your message in the field. Click the emoji icon to add emoji or press @ to mention a colleague or collaborator.
- Click to send your message.
Mention a collaborator
@mention collaborators in comments by pressing @ symbol and typing their name. This allows you to include a collaborator in the comment thread, or draw their attention to a specific part of the design file.
In a team there are some general restrictions around mention behavior:
- Collaborators that have the same roles on a resource can @mention one another. For example: team members can mention anyone else who is a member of the team.
- Team members can also mention collaborators who only have a role on that specific file.
- Collaborators that only have a role on the file, and not the team or project, can only mention collaborators that are members of the team. They can't mention collaborators that are only added to that file.
Outside of a team you can mention anyone you "know" in Figma. This includes:
- People who are on the same teams, projects, or files as you.
- Anyone you have invited, or has invited you, to a file.
Add a mention to a comment
Mention a collaborator when you add a new comment, or reply to an existing one.
- In the comment field, click @ or press the @ key to trigger a mention.
- Start typing in the person's name or email. Figma will suggest collaborators based on your history.
- Click the or key to select a collaborator or click on the person's name in the list.
- Figma will show mentions in blue text. Complete the rest of your message and click Post.
- Figma will send an email to the collaborator with the details of your comment and a preview of the design. If they have in-app notifications enabled, they will receive a notification in Figma too.
Note: If you'd like to mention someone who is missing from your list, then you will need to invite them to the file first.
Add emoji to comments
Add emoji when adding or replying to comments. Figma uses the Apple emoji collection.
- In the comment field, begin to type your message then click the 🙂 smiley face icon.
- Choose from your Frequently used emoji or browse through the catalogue of emoji.
- Or, use the Search bar to find the exact emoji you're after.
- Click on the emoji to add it to your message. This will appear in short-hand
:thinking_face:, not as the emoji. Don't worry, your emoji will appear when you click send!
- Click to add your comment to the file or prototype.
Note: You can add up to 100 comments per hour. This includes new comments and replies and applies across all your files and prototypes.