Before you start
Who can use this feature
Users on Figma Organization Plan
Only Organization Admins can configure domain capture. Contact your Figma Account Manager for more information.
Domain capture allows you to seamlessly on-board users into your Figma Organization.
Organization Admins define which company domains are part of their Figma Organization. Domain capture controls how Figma treats accounts that match a company's domain(s).
If you sign up for a Figma Organization with an Account Executive: domain capture will be on as part of the migration process.
If you sign up for a Figma Organization in your Figma account: your Organization will not have Domain Capture. You can reach out to the Figma support team to turn this on for your Organization.
Organizations with domain capture
When domain capture is on, Figma will add accounts registered under a company email to the Organization. This applies to:
- Any existing Figma accounts at the time of migration
- Any new accounts created after the Organization is set up
They have already migrated their chosen teams to their Figma Organization account. They want ensure everyone at ACME is a part of the same Figma Organization, so they turn on domain capture.
Figma will now add anyone with a verified company email to the existing Organization. This includes anyone that:
Organizations without domain capture
When domain capture is off, Figma won't automatically add accounts with company emails to the company's Organization.
This allows companies to create separate teams or Organizations. Or, choose exactly which members they want to include in the Organization.
This is particularly handy for:
- Multi-nationals or decentralized companies that want to create more than one Figma Organization. For example: a separate Figma Organization for each department or location.
- Companies that want to keep a mix of Professional Teams and Organizations. For example: an Organization for Product, and a Professional team for Brand.
To add members to an Organization without domain capture:
- Organization Admins can choose which teams and members to invite at migration
- Existing members can invite other members to join the Organization
FASH Corp is a multi-national with teams in locations all around the world. They want each location to be its own Organization, so they can pay for them separately.
The New York branch of FASH creates an Organization. They select their North American teams to migrate and register both fash.un and na.fash.un as domains.
The Tokyo branch of FASH also creates an Organization. They select their APAC teams to migrate register both fash.un and ap.fash.un as domains.
The Paris branch of FASH also creates an Organization. They select their European teams to migrate register both fash.un and eu.fash.un as domains.
- Invite anyone with a fash.un email to any FASH Organization. This allows people to be members of all three Organizations.
- Invite anyone with a na.fash.un email to the New York Organization
- Invite anyone with a ap.fash.un email to the Tokyo Organization
- Invite anyone with a eu.fash.un email to the Paris Organization
- Members can create new accounts that aren't linked to the existing Organizations. This allows them to create a separate Professional team or Organization.
What to expect
Domain capture affects a couple of aspects of your Organization.
The options for adding members to an Organization are dependent on domain capture.
Domain capture on
Figma will add anyone with an account under a company email to the Organization.
This includes existing Figma accounts. As well as any new accounts that users create after you establish the Organization.
There are many ways to add members and guests to an Organization via domain capture:
- Members join the Organization using their company email
- Invite the member to a team in the Organization
- Add members to your identity provider so they can login via SAML SSO
Domain capture off
You will need to invite members to your Organization. They will need to use a company email on the same domain.
You can invite them to a File, Project, Team, or the Organization:
- Invite a collaborator to a File
- Invite a Viewer or Editor to a Team
- Add a member to your Organization
Note: If a user creates a new account with their company email, Figma won't add them to the existing Organization.
You can still invite these members to your Organization using any of the methods above. To access the Organization, they can switch between their personal and Organization space.
Organizations usually have extra requirements or restrictions around privacy and security. One important factor protecting Intellectual Property and defining who owns what content.
In an Organization, every member will have an Organization space and a Personal space. They can access these spaces from their Figma account.
- Organization space: the teams, files, and resources that are part of your Organization.
- Personal space: the teams you are a member of, that aren't part of that Organization. This could be teams that weren't migrated, or external teams you're a member of.
Everything in the Organization Space is the intellectual property of the Organization.
Domain capture on
Figma will migrate any accounts with company emails into the new Figma Organization.
Figma moves any Files in their Drafts to the Drafts in their Organization space. These will become the property of the Organization.
Domain capture off
When you're added to the Organization will determine where Figma moves your drafts.
- At initial migration: Figma will move your Drafts into the Organization Space. They will then be the property of the Organization. They will remain there if you leave the Organization, or if an Organization Admin removes you.
- After initial migration: your drafts will stay in your Personal Space. You keep ownership of these files if you leave the Organization. Or an Organization Admin removes you.
Everything in the Organization space is the intellectual property of the Organization. When you remove a member from your Organization, Figma will:
- Immediately remove their access to the Organization Space
- Prevent the user from accessing teams, files or libraries in the Organization.
- Transfer ownership of any teams to the member with the highest permissions on that team.
- Transfer ownership of their files and projects to an existing Editor.
- Move any Drafts in the Organization Space to the Organization's Shared Projects folder. This will lock the files for other collaborators. Organization Admins will need to move the drafts to a new team or assign a new owner to unlock them.
Domain capture on
Users will no longer have access to the Figma account under their company email. This means they will also lose access to:
- Drafts in their personal space
- Any teams, files, and projects that were in their personal space
Domain capture off
Figma will detach the user's email address from the Organization. This allows them to access everything that was in their personal space.
- Keep the existing Figma account they registered under their company email
- Access any teams, files, and projects that were in their personal space
- Access the Drafts in their personal space