Restrict access to content from outside your organization
Before you begin
Only available on the Enterprise plan.
Organization admins only.
This feature requires domain capture. To turn on domain capture, please contact our support team.
By default, members of a Figma organization can create and edit files outside the organization. For example, they can join files shared with them from people at other companies, or create new files in External teams.
By restricting access to external content, organization admins can keep everyone’s work inside the company Figma organization. When access to external content is disabled, members can’t:
- Create new files or projects outside your organization.
- Edit files they’ve created outside your organization.
- Edit or comment on files shared with them from people outside your company.
- Accept new invites to join files, projects, or teams from outside your company. The exceptions are open sessions in FigJam, public files, and password protected files. In these cases, people can join the files with view-only permissions.
Note: When this setting is enabled, everyone's permissions will change to view-only in files they have access to outside of your Figma organization. This includes drafts they’ve made in other organizations or in External teams.
Let people know about the change in advance
Before limiting access to content outside your organization, we recommend telling people in advance what they can expect. Here’s a customizable message template you can use to prepare everyone for the change.
On [date], we're going to change an important setting in our Figma organization. In an effort to keep [company name]’s creative work inside our organization, we're going limit editing access to content from outside our company.
Here's what you can expect on [date]:
- Any existing files, projects, and teams shared from outside our company will switch to view-only.
- You won't be able to accept new invites to join files, projects, or teams shared outside our company.
- You won't be able to create drafts, files, or projects outside of the [company] organization.
- Any drafts you've made outside of the organization will become view-only.
- You can still create and edit drafts within the [company] organization.
- You can still join open sessions in FigJam, public files, and password protected files from outside our organization with view-only permissions.
Before [date], please review any content you have access to outside our organization. You can click on the name of our Figma organization at the top left of the file browser to view other organizations you have access to, or content within External teams.
If you have content you need to move into our Figma organization, export or save a local copy of each file, then import the files by dragging and dropping them in Figma’s file browser.
If you have questions about this change, please reach out to [person or process].
Enable or disable access to external content
Access to external content is enabled by default. You can disable or re-enable access at any time by following the instructions below.
- From the file browser, click Admin settings.
- Select the Settings tab.
- Under External access, click Access to external content.
- Change the setting and press Save.