Who can use this feature
Supported on any team or plan
Anyone who can edit design files can add or import images
Figma supports PNG, JPEG, HEIC, GIF and WEBP image formats.
Add images to your design files to incorporate photography, screenshots, or other visual assets in your designs. Figma supports PNG, JPEG, HEIC, GIF and WEBP image formats.
Figma doesn't have a specific layer type for images, instead, images are a type of fill. This allows you to add images to any shape or vector network.
View and update image fills in the Fill section of the right sidebar. Figma will show a thumbnail of the image in the swatch and an
You can also identify layers with image fills in the Layers panel in the left sidebar:
- If you add an image straight to the canvas, Figma creates a rectangle in the canvas with the dimensions of the original file with the Image icon and
- If you add an image to an existing object, Figma uses the layer icon and description of the original layer.
Note: Figma downsizes images with a width or height larger than 4096 pixels. This scales the image's original dimensions proportionally, so the longest edge is less than 4096 pixels.
Sometimes, Figma needs to decode and convert an image before adding it to the file. For this reason, we can't guarantee that Figma will preserve all file metadata.
Add images to files
As images are fills, you can add them to any vector or shape. This gives you greater flexibility and control. There are a number of ways you can add images to design files:
A Drag and drop images file from your computer onto the canvas. Figma creates a new rectangle the dimensions of the image and applies the image as a fill.
B Import an image files into the file browser. Figma will create a new design file in the project with the image added as a rectangle.
C Add multiple images to your designs in bulk using place. Choose which layers to add images to. Place images in bulk →
D Use the image importer from the color picker. Upload image fills →
E Copy an image from another layer in the current file, or from another file. Copy and paste images between layers →
F Paste any image from your clipboard into the canvas. Copy images from the web without having to download and upload. Paste images in the canvas →
You can also add animated GIFs to your prototypes. GIFs only playback when viewing designs and prototypes in presentation view. Add animated GIFs to prototypes →
There are lots of ways to edit or adjust images:
- Scale, rotate and adjust the dimensions of any layers with images
- Crop and re-position images applied to layers
- Adjust the image options including the Fill mode, rotation and blend modes
- Includes images in styles and components
- Apply masks to only show a part of the image
- Make adjustments to images like changing the hue, saturation, or contrast
Having issues loading images? Troubleshoot common image loading issues →