Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on the Education plan.
Anyone with verified education status can create free Education teams.
Figma is passionate about making design accessible. Want to cultivate design thinking, break down barriers, and collaborate with others in the classroom? If you are a student or educator, then you may qualify for a Figma Education team.
Education accounts allow you to access all the feature of the Professional plan, without the cost. This allows students and educators in any structured learning environment to collaborate.
Members of Education teams can also join Figma's Education Community groups and access classroom-specific resources.
Education team criteria
To qualify for an Education team you must be:
✅ At least 13 years of age
✅ A student or educator in a classroom
Note: Anyone you invite with edit access to your Education team will need to verify their email and Education status. It's not possible to have a mix of paid and free editors in an Education team. Learn how to invite team members →.
What qualifies as a classroom
Students and educators in online or in-person classes and educational programs are eligible for an Education team. Some examples are:
- High schools, universities, post-graduate institutions, trade schools, polytechnics, or colleges
- Online courses
- Bootcamps or workshops
- Design and coding academies
What doesn't qualify
Figma doesn't provide free Education teams for:
- Self-directed education
- Early stage startups
- "Not-for-profit" or "non-profit" organizations whose primary purpose is not educational
- Educational programs affiliated with organizations whose primary purpose is not educational
Verify your education status
You'll need to sign up for a Figma account before you can verify your education status. If you have a school-issued email address, we recommend using this address for your Figma account. Learn now to create a Figma account →
Apply for education status using the Figma Education sign up form. You need to be verified to create an Education team.
Your education status will be valid for two years. If you are still a student or educator at the end of the two years, you can reapply for education status.
To verify your education status, Figma needs to know the details of your education program or learning environment.
- Follow the link: https://www.figma.com/education/apply
- Confirm if you're a student or educator.
- Enter the reason you're applying for the free Figma Education plan.
- Search for your school in the What's your school's name menu.
- If your school isn't listed, select School not listed to enter details of your school:
- The full name of the school. For example:
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
- The school's website (URL). For example:
- The full name of the school. For example:
- Click the Submit button to complete the application process.
Figma will perform a series of checks to confirm your enrollment status in an eligible educational program. We will notify you via email to confirm whether your application was successful.
Create an Education team
If your Education status is verified, you can then create an Education team in Figma. We suggest creating a new team, but you can upgrade an existing Starter team as well.
Create new team
Click Create new team in the sidebar or follow the link: https://www.figma.com/files/create-team
Give your team a name and click Create team. You can always change this after the team is created.
During the Add team members step, you can invite collaborators to your team.
- Click Skip for now to invite collaborators after you create your team.
- Otherwise, enter collaborators email addresses in the fields provided. Add one email per field.
- Click Add another to add more fields for collaborators.
Click Continue to move to the next step and select your plan.
Select Choose Education plan.
Figma will show you how many Figma design and FigJam editors you have. As the Education plan is free for students and educators, the totals will be
Click Complete upgrade to complete the process and open your new team.
Upgrade existing team
Education teams are free Professional teams. When you upgrade an existing team, you'll need to upgrade to the Professional plan then let Figma know you're an Education team.
Open the team in your workspace and select the Settings tab.
In the Plan and billing section, select Upgrade your plan:
Select Upgrade to Professional from the plan options:
In the summary on the right, select Yes for the Is this an Education team? option:
Figma will show you how many Figma design and FigJam editors you have. Click Next: Review to move to the next step.
Figma will show you how many Figma design and FigJam editors are included in your billing. As the Education plan is free for students and educators, the total will be
$0.00. Click Complete upgrade.
Figma will upgrade the team to an Education team and open the team workspace.
Note: Any editors you invite must verify their email address and Education status to get edit access. It's not possible to have a mix of paid and free editors in an Education team. Learn how to invite team members →.
Education application denied
Figma checks your application to confirm your eligibility for a free Education account. Figma may decline you if:
- You signed up with an email associated with a company or professional organization
- Figma could not find a public record of your school or classroom via the URL you provided
- Your documents are not associated with a school or classroom
- Your documentation does not match other documentation we have seen from this institution
If Figma declines your application, you can reach out to the Figma Support team. Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This will allow Figma to revisit your application with some extra information including:
- An updated URL of the institution you're enrolled with, or
- A copy of your school-issued identification card, or
- Transcript, or
- Receipt or proof of enrollment