Who can use this feature
Supported on the Enterprise plan.
Only organization admins can adjust default roles.
On the Enterprise plan, organization admins can set default roles for anyone joining the organization. This helps organization admins to better control and manage new editor seats.
Default roles apply to both members and guests. You can set default roles for both Figma design files and FigJam files.
What are roles?
Every member or guest in an organization has a Figma design role and a FigJam role. People can have different roles on each file type.
These roles determine the highest level of access they can get on each product. There are three roles: viewer, viewer - restricted, and editor. Roles in Figma →
Roles also determine a person’s billing status. Figma only includes editor roles— otherwise known as seats or licenses—in the organization's billing.
For example: a Product Manager (PM) has an editor role on FigJam but only a viewer - restricted role on Figma design. They will only contribute to a paid editor seat for FigJam; a FigJam seat on the Enterprise plan is $5/month or $60/year.
Note: On the Enterprise plan, you can also set member roles via SCIM. If you set member roles via SCIM, Figma will honor the SCIM provisioned role over the default role. If you have SAML and basic SCIM enabled, but don't use SCIM to set roles, Figma will use the default role setting.
You can identify members with roles set by SCIM with the next to their role in the Members tab.
Set default role
Organization admins can set default roles in the organization's admin settings.
- Open the organization in Figma.
- Select Admin settings in the left sidebar.
- Select Settings from the menu bar.
- In the Login and provisioning section, select the Default role setting.
- Select default roles for both Figma design and FigJam using the fields. Choose from:
- Viewer: Admins and other editors can upgrade them to an editor role. Viewers can also upgrade themselves to a paid status by taking an upgrade action. (default)
- Viewer restricted: Only an organization or workspace admin can upgrade them to an editor role.
- Editor: They join with a paid editor seat on that product. New editors are included in your quarterly true-up.
- Select Save to apply your changes.
Monitor related activity
Organization admins can monitor activity related to roles and upgrades in the organization's activity logs. There are three types of events related to roles and licenses:
- Default role: When an organization admin sets or changes the default role for the organization. Figma records separate events for each file type.
- Org role changed: When a member or guest’s role is explicitly changed by an organization or workspace admin. This includes any upgrades and downgrades outside of user-initiated requests.
- Upgrade requests and activity: Any activity related to member or guest-initiated upgrade requests. This includes any of the following events:
- A user requested access or upgrade
- Workspace admin approved request
- Organization admin approved request
- Workspace admin rejects request
- Organization admin rejected request