Who can use this feature
Available on the Professional, Organization, and Enterprise plans
Only admins can set default seat types
Default seat types help admins manage paid seat upgrades in a Figma team or organization.
What are Figma's seat types?
Every member or guest in an organization or team has a Figma design seat and a FigJam seat. There are three seat types people can have:
- A viewer seat is a free seat. People can upgrade themselves to a paid seat by taking an upgrade action.
- A viewer-restricted seat is the same as the viewer seat, except people need to ask an admin to upgrade them to a paid seat.
- A full seat is a paid seat.
For example: let's say a Product Manager has a full FigJam seat, but only a viewer-restricted seat in Figma design. Since they only have a paid seat in FigJam, they'll pay $5 per month, or $60 per year, on the Enterprise plan.
Set default seat types
On the Enterprise and Organization plans, organization admins can set default seat types for anyone joining the organization. On the Professional plan, team admins or owners can set default seat types for anyone joining the team.
Note: If you're an admin looking to set permissions on a team within your organization, learn more about setting default permissions →
- From the file browser, click Admin in the left sidebar.
- Click the Settings tab.
- In the Login and provisioning section, select the Default seat type setting.
- Select default seat types for both Figma design and FigJam using the fields. Choose from:
- Viewer: Viewers can upgrade themselves to a paid seat by taking an upgrade action.
- Viewer-restricted: Only an admin can upgrade them to a paid seat.
- Full: They join with a paid seat on that product. New paid seats are included in your quarterly true-up.
- Select Save to apply your changes.
Note: On the Enterprise plan, you can also set seat types via SCIM. If you set seats via SCIM, Figma will honor the SCIM provisioned seat type over the default seat type. If you have SAML and basic SCIM enabled, but don't use SCIM to set seat types, Figma will defer to the default seat type setting.
You can identify members with seats set by SCIM with the next to their seat type in the Members tab.
Monitor related activity
Organization admins can monitor activity related to seats and upgrades in the organization's activity logs. There are three types of events related to paid seats:
- Default seat type: When an organization admin sets or changes the default seat type for the organization. Figma records separate events for each file type.
- Seat changed by an admin: When a member or guest’s seat is changed by an organization or workspace admin. This includes any upgrades and downgrades outside of user-initiated requests.
Upgrade requests and activity: Any activity related to member or guest-initiated upgrade requests. This includes any of the following:
- A user requested access or upgrade
- Workspace admin approved request
- Organization admin approved request
- Workspace admin rejects request
- Organization admin rejected request