Who can use this feature
Images are available on all plans, and video is available for all paid plans
Requires can edit access to Figma design files
Add images and video to your design files to incorporate photography, screenshots, or other visual assets to your designs.
Supported file types include:
- JPG, PNG, HEIC, TIFF, WebP, and GIF raster image files
- MP4, MOV, and WebM video files
Note: When a Scalable Vector Graphic (SVG) is imported into a Figma design file, the SVG is no longer treated as an image. While raster images are applied to layers as fill properties, vector images are converted to vector layers that you can edit, just like other shapes drawn in Figma.
Figma doesn't have a specific layer type for raster images and videos. Instead, they are a type of fill. This allows you to add images and videos to any shape or vector network.
View and update image and video fills in the Fill section of the right sidebar. Figma will show a thumbnail in the swatch and an
Raster images and videos added to the canvas create a rectangle with the asset set to the object's fill. They can be identified in the left sidebar with the following:
- Static images will have an image icon next to its layer name
- Videos and GIFs will have a video icon next to its layer name
If you add them to an existing object, Figma uses the layer icon and description of the original layer.
Note: Figma downsizes images with a width or height larger than 4096 pixels. This scales the image's original dimensions proportionally, so the longest edge is less than 4096 pixels.
Sometimes, Figma needs to decode and convert an image before adding it to the file. For this reason, we can't guarantee that Figma will preserve all file metadata.
Add images and videos to files
As raster images and videos are fills, you can add them to any vector or shape. This gives you greater flexibility and control.
There are a number of ways you can add images to design files:
A Drag and drop image files from your computer onto the canvas
B Import static images into the file browser. Figma creates a new design file in the project with the image added as a rectangle.
C Add images and videos in bulk. Choose which layers to add images to.
There are lots of ways to edit or adjust images:
- Scale, rotate and adjust the dimensions of any layers with images
- Crop and re-position images applied to layers
- Adjust the image options including the Fill mode, rotation and blend modes
- Includes images in styles and components
- Apply masks to only show a part of the image
- Make adjustments to images like changing the hue, saturation, or contrast
Having issues loading images? Troubleshoot common image loading issues →