Everyone who interacts with an organization has both a Figma design role and FigJam role. Roles determine the highest level of access you can have on those file types. It also determines if you’re included in the organization’s billing.
There are some actions you can only do with a paid editor role. If you have a viewer-restricted role and try any of those actions, you need to request an upgrade.
If you're not sure what FigJam and Figma design roles you have, you can view them in your account settings ↓.
Note: Requesting a role upgrade doesn’t give you edit access to the entire organization. You can only edit teams, files, or projects you have can edit access to.
Request an upgrade
The request upgrade modal allows you to request a role upgrade for either Figma design or FigJam. There are a few places you can start this process from.
- Open Figma in the organization workspace.
- Click your avatar in the navigation bar and select Settings.
- Scroll down to the Organizations section to view the organization’s you’re a part of. You’ll see the organization name, if you’re a member or guest, and your Figma design and FigJam roles.
- Click Request upgrade next to the relevant organization and role. Request upgrades for Figma design or FigJam separately.
Figma or FigJam file
Your upgrade request only applies to the file type you’re requesting from. For example: if you request an upgrade from a FigJam role, the upgrade only applies to your FigJam role.
- Open the Figma design or FigJam file.
- Click Edit file in the toolbar to start the request process.
If you already have edit access to the file, this sends an upgrade request. If you don’t have edit access to the file, Figma sends an upgrade request first. If approved, Figma will then send a request to edit to the file owner.
You’ll see the request access modal when you try to:
- Share a file from your drafts
- Create a new Figma design or FigJam file (in a team project)
- Request to join a team as an editor (only if a team admin accepts your request)
- Join a team without any existing editors
From the request access modal, you can select admins and add a reason for your request:
- Use the checkboxes to select admin(s) to send your request to. Check Select all to send the request to all admins.
- Add a message to explain why you’re requesting the upgrade (optional).
- Click the Request upgrade button. Figma will send an email to the admin(s) you selected.
Contact an admin
If you don't agree with an admin's decision, we recommend reaching out to your manager or an admin.
Figma includes the email of the admin who declined your request in the notification. You can also view a list of Admins on the right side of the organization page.