Before you begin
Workspaces are only available on the Enterprise plan.
Only organization admins can create workspaces.
Workspaces are groups of teams, people, and resources within an organization. You can create workspaces for different groups, departments, product areas, or business units.
There are three steps to set up a workspace:
Caution: If you’ve just upgraded to the Enterprise plan and are creating the first workspaces in your organization, we recommend reviewing the guide to launching workspaces in your organization.
1. Create a new workspace
- Select Admin settings in the left sidebar.
- Select Workspaces in the menu bar.
- Click New workspace at the top of the table.
- Enter a name for the workspace.
- In the Workspace admin field, add at least one person. Start typing an existing members’ name, then click or press Enter to select.
- Press Create workspace to complete the process.
What is a workspace admin?
Workspace admins help organization admins manage people and resources in Figma. Workspace admins can manage teams, members, and guests in their workspace.
We recommend choosing people who understand the activities and tasks of the people and teams they manage. They could be a team or line manager, department head, or anyone with insight into what people work on.
2. Assign teams to the workspace
Workspaces let you group related teams together. This makes it easy for people to find their work in Figma.
Tip: Workspace admins can assign default teams to members in a workspace. When enabled, Figma adds everyone in the workspace to the selected default teams. This applies to existing members or guests, or anyone new who joins the workspace.
3. Assign members and guests (optional)
Assigning people to a workspace is an optional administrative step. It lets organization admins delegate user management responsibilities to workspace admins. It also helps larger companies understand how licenses are distributed throughout their Figma organization.
Anyone who isn't assigned to a workspace is considered Unassigned. Both organization and workspace admins can view unassigned members and assign them to a workspace.
- Organization admins can assign people to any workspace.
- Workspace admins can only assign people from Unassigned to workspaces they manage. They can’t claim or assign people from other workspaces.
You can only assign people to one workspace, but they can still join teams and access resources in other workspaces.
Tip: Rather than manually assigning members to a workspace yourself, you can let people assign themselves.