Before you start
Who can use this feature
Supported on the Figma Organization plan.
Only Organization Admins can manage an Organization's billing, members, and true-ups.
Figma Organizations go beyond the team setup you may be used to in a Professional or Starter team. Instead of a single workspace for a team, you have a dedicated "Organization space".
Everything in the Organization space is owned by the Organization. This includes files from individual's Drafts and every team within the Organization.
As members can join many teams, Organization subscriptions are billed as a whole. Anyone with can edit access to a team, project, or file outside their drafts is included in the Organization's billing.
In this article, we'll cover the billing model for Figma Organizations and step you through the process of a quarterly true-up.
At the moment, Figma only collects sales tax in Russia, and selected states in the United States. Learn more about taxes in Figma →
- Organization Admins define how many Editor seats they need when they first upgrade to the Figma Organization plan. This will be the Organization's annual subscription.
- To account for any new Editors in the Organization, Figma performs a true-up every three months. An Organization's first true-up will occur three months after the initial billing date.
- During the billing period, members can add new Editors or upgrade existing users. Figma won't charge the Organization for any new Editors yet.
- Four weeks before the true-up, Figma will send an email reminder to the billing contact. This shows the number of Editors added since the last billing date.
- Organization Admins can choose to keep new Editors as paid Editor seats or downgrade them to free Viewers - Restricted. You'll only need to buy extra seats if the Organization has more seats than the previous billing date.
- Figma will send further reminders two weeks before the true-up. and again three days before true-up is due. During this time, Organization Admins can confirm the total number of Editors to lock the upcoming invoice.
- On the true-up date, Figma will charge the Organization for any confirmed Editors. This is a prorated amount, which covers that seat for the rest of the billing period.
- Figma will send the billing contact a reminder 14 days before the annual subscription is due to renew. This allows the Organization to adjust the amount of Editor seas they want for their annual subscription.
- Figma sends another reminder five days before the annual subscription is due to renew.
Choose a billing contact
Every Organization has a billing contact. Figma sends any notifications around billing to the billing contact. This includes notifications around the Organization's true-up, as well as any outstanding payments.
You can add anyone's email address as the billing contact. We recommend adding an Organization Admin, so they can manage the Organization's true-up, and any new Editors.
Organization Admins can view and manage the Organization's billing in the Billing tab of the Organization's Admin Settings.
- Open Figma in the file browser.
- Select Admin Settings in the sidebar.
- Select Billing at the top of the page.
Note: All invoices in Figma are in $USD. Invoices are currently only payable in $USD. References to totals and balances in the product and any documentation are in $USD.
From here they can view details of the annual subscription, view and export previous invoices, and see the expected balance of any upcoming true-ups.
- View the date that your Next invoice will be issued
- View the number of New editors this quarter.
- View the Projected total. Click the information icon to see a breakdown of any extra Editors seats, pro-rated for the rest of the annual subscription.
- View the date of your next annual renewal, as well as the total number of editor seats.
- View the current billing contact for the Organization. Click Change to update to another email address.
- View a list of invoices relating to the Organization's annual subscription, as well as any quarterly true-ups. For each item you can:
- View the Date
- A Description of the invoice, is this for a quarterly true-up or the annual subscription.
- See how many Editors invoiced for that period. If this is a true-up you'll only see extra seats purchased.
- View the Billed amount in $USD.
- See the status of the invoice. Click View invoice for paid invoices or Pay invoice for active or outstanding invoices.
During a true-up, a banner will appear at the top of the Billing page. This gives you an overview of your upcoming invoice and prompts you to review any new Editors.
- Click Review new editors to see any new Editors in the Members tab.
- View the date your Next invoice will be issued on.
- View the number of New editors this quarter. If there are less Editors since your last invoice, you'll see any Seats available.
- View the Projected total. Click [ICON] to see a breakdown of any extra Editors seats, pro-rated for the rest of the annual subscription.
Figma will send email reminders to the billing contact to let them know the number of Editors added since the last billing date. Three reminders are sent in total, at four weeks, two weeks, and 3 days.
During this period, Organization Admins can review new Editors and choose to keep, downgrade, or remove them.
Manage new Editors
You can manage new Editors from the Members tab of the Organization's Admin Settings.
Tip! You can also click the Review Editors button on the Billing page to open the Members tab and review members.
- Click on the Organization name in the sidebar.
- Click on Settings heading at the top of the page.
- Select Members in the admin console.
- Use the New since last invoice checkbox to filter results to new Editors.
- Click the information icon to open the Recent Activity modal. This allows you to see the last five events in the member's history. This will also show the date and reason for upgrade.
- For more details on their recent activity, click and select View user activity.
- To downgrade a member, click Editor and select Viewer - Restricted.
- To remove a member, click and select Remove.
- Click Confirm Editors to lock the invoice. Figma will include any Editors added after this point in the Organization's next quarterly true-up.
There are two ways to pay for an Organization, via credit card or invoice. As you can only make one payment per invoice, you will need to pay in full.
- Upgraded via a Figma Account Executive: pay for your Organization via invoice. You will have 30 days to pay the invoice.
- Upgraded in the Figma product: Figma will already have your credit card on file and will charge the total due on the true-up date.
Purchase orders are official documents that confirm the quantity and price for products and services. Businesses may require purchase orders for budget approval and tracking purposes.
There isn't a dedicated process for managing purchase orders in the Figma product. However, you can ask Figma to include references to any purchase orders on your account invoices.
You can submit these to Figma to include them on your invoice. Even if you have your own system for managing purchase orders, please reach out to your account manager or email@example.com to co-ordinate.
Note: You can submit as many purchase orders as you need within a quarter. Figma will only generate one invoice for every true-up.
Pay invoices in Figma
Payments must be made in full, it's not possible to apply more than one payment to an invoice.
- Open the Organization's Admin Settings and select the Billing tab.
- Click the Pay invoice button at the top of the page.
- Figma will open Stripe, where you can enter credit card details to pay for the invoice.
- Click View Invoice next to the true-up to view or download a copy of that invoice.