Figma is passionate about making design accessible. Want to cultivate design thinking, break down barriers, and collaborate with others in the classroom? If you are a student or educator, then you may qualify for a Figma Education team.
Education accounts allow you to access all the functionality of our Professional plan, without the cost. This allows students and educators in any structured learning environment to collaborate.
Note: Anyone you invite with edit access to your Education team will need to verify their Education status.
Education team criteria
To qualify for an Education team you must:
✅ Be at least 13 years of age
✅ Be a student or educator in a classroom
✅ Verify your Education status
What qualifies as a classroom?
Students and educators in online or in-person classes and educational programs are eligible for an Education team. Some examples are:
- High schools, universities, post-graduate institutions, trade schools, polytechnics, or colleges
- Online courses
- Bootcamps or workshops
- Design and coding academies
Figma does not provide free Education teams for:
- Early stage startups
- "Not-for-profit" or "non-profit" organizations
- Self-directed education
- Educational programs affiliated with organizations whose primary purpose is non-educational
You can apply for an Education account using the Figma Education sign up form. Once verified, you can create an Education team.
Tip! Members of Education teams can also join Figma's Education Community groups and classroom resources.
Apply for Education status
You'll need to sign up for a Figma account before you can verify your Education status. If you have a school-issued email address, we recommend using this address for your Figma account. Learn now to create a Figma account →
Your Education status will be valid for two years. If you are still a student or educator at the end of the two years, you can reapply for Education status.
To verify your Education status, we need to know some information about you. This includes the details of your education program or learning environment.
- Follow the link: https://www.figma.com/education/apply
- Enter the following information:
- Your First and Last name
- Your School email address (if applicable)
- School Name
- School Website
- Click the Submit button to complete the application process.
What Next? Figma will perform a series of checks to confirm your enrollment status in an eligible educational program. We will notify you via email to confirm whether your application was successful.
Create your Education team
If your application was successful, you can now create an Education team in Figma.
Tip! We suggest starting with a new team, but you can upgrade an existing team.
Create a new team
- Open Figma in the File Browser
- Click the New Team button in the bottom-left of the File Browser. Or, follow the link: https://www.figma.com/files/create-team
- Enter a name for your team and click Create team.
- Now you can Add your collaborators. Enter their email addresses in the field provided, separated by a comma. Click Skip for now to invite collaborators after you've created your team.
- Click Continue to move to the next step.
- Choose Education from the options. Figma will take you straight to your new team page.
Upgrade an existing team
The process for upgrading an existing team is a little more involved. First, you'll need to upgrade to a Professional plan. Then you'll have the option to select the Education plan, from the plan drop down.
Open the team in the file browser.
Click on the Settings tab at the top of the file browser to open the team settings.
Click the Upgrade plan button.
Select the Choose Professional from the options:
Use the next to the plan drop-down to select Education plan from the options:
Confirm how many editors you want on your team. You can add and remove editors once you have created the team too. Click Continue.
Figma will upgrade the team to an Education team.
Education application denied
Figma checks your application to confirm your eligibility for a free Education account.
Figma may decline you if:
- You signed up with an email associated with a company or professional organization
- Figma could not find a public record of your school or classroom via the URL you provided
- Your documents are not associated with a school or classroom
- Your documentation does not match other documentation we have seen from this institution
If Figma declines your application, you can reach out to the Figma Support team. Send an email to email@example.com.
This will allow Figma to revisit your application with some extra information including:
- An updated URL of the institution you're enrolled with, or
- A copy of your school-issued identification card, or
- Transcript, or
- Receipt or proof of enrollment